“For over three decades, I have enjoyed a wonderful and special relationship with the amazing Will Lee. I honestly know of no other bassist who radiates as much joy from playing bass as Will does. It is an honor and a privilege to be the maker of the Will Lee Model.” -Roger Sadowsky
Legendary Grammy Award winning musician and bassist Will Lee is best known for his long tenure in the World’s Most Dangerous Band on Late Night with David Letterman. He boasts an extensive catalog of recordings as a session man playing on hits by B.B. King, Al Green, Mariah Carey, Barry Manilow, Bette Midler, Natalie Cole, Billy Joel, Ringo Starr, and many others. Will has also toured internationally with many household name artists, and was recently inducted into the Musicians Hall of Fame & Museum.
Will relies on Sadowsky basses and has worked with Roger for decades to get the tone and feel he needs for live and studio performance. We are proud to offer our Will Lee Model as the result of this working relationship between artist and luthier. It represents Roger’s work to translate Will’s ideas into wood and wire. You can experience the same custom electronics and unique configuration that Will uses on stage and in studio. The Will Lee Model was recognized with the Bass Player Editor Award.
Will Lee Model Specifications
- Swamp ash or alder body chambered for enhanced resonance and light weight
- Maple or rosewood fingerboard
- Sleek 1.45” nut width on 4-string or 1.75" on 5-string
- 22 nickel/silver frets .090" wide x .048" high
- Custom Hipshot/Sadowsky tuning gears with D-tuner
- Sadowsky Single Coil or Humcancelling J pickups
- Sadowsky Soapbars in '60s J-Bass locations or Sadowsky P/J
- Custom Will Lee preamp with switchable midboost with trimpot
- Frequency selectable at 500 or 800 Hz, wide or narrow bandwidth
- Front: master vol, pickup blend, treble roll-off (VTC), bass boost, treble boost, midboost on/off, preamp bypass
- Rear: trimpots for adjusting preamp gain and mid boost
- Sadowsky chrome-plated brass bridge
- String spacing at bridge: 20mm on 4 Strings, and 19mm on 5 Strings
- Additional options available
$5100 Base Price 4-string
$5300 Base Price 5-string
"Working with Roger is like a godsend. I kind of tell him in grunts and squawks what I like or dislike about a bass and he's able to translate those utterings into technical marvels. What I knew I wanted was a neck with more frets, a midrange boost that would allow the instrument to 'cut through' the band, especially in a live situation, and finally, a slightly thinner neck than previous Sadowsky models had offered. Roger was able to accomplish those things and I'm a happy bassist"
-Will Lee, Bass Guitar Magazine Interview