Sadowsky Guitars Web Forum
September 22, 2014, 02:11:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Active guitars  (Read 5701 times)
docbop

View Profile
« on: July 24, 2010, 06:33:18 PM »

I am back playing guitar after a LONG time away from music and then playing bass for awhile.   In bass world it's common to have active electronics.  I have a Sadowsky pre in my Fender Jbass and of course in my amazing Sadowsky Modern 5 is active.   Now playing guitar I thinking possibly a pre-amp but mainly a "buffer"?  I don't know the right term, what I would like is a bit of electronics so when I change the volume of my guitar the tone doesn't change with it.  I was wondering if Sadowsky has experimented in this area?   I don't have a Sadowsky guitar yet, but love the archtops.
IntenseJim

I <3 pow, boobs, and Sadowsky

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 03:33:54 AM »

what I would like is a bit of electronics so when I change the volume of my guitar the tone doesn't change with it.

On many guitars this can be accomplished with different yet simple wiring changes and perhaps introducing a capacitor in the circuit.  I've done this on my Les Pauls. I don't think you need an onboard preamp for this.

On a guitar, I think but I'm not sure that the OBP can act as a buffer. One goal of a buffer is to preserve your signal or tone when you run long cables from your guitar to your amp, run a long cable from your guitar to floor effects and another long cable to the amp,  or run several true-bypass effects in a row (in series).

That's my general understanding and experience but I'm not a guru like Roger and Rob.

"I think the only repeat customer we have ever had is some Dr schmuck out in Reno." --Roger
Sadowsky
Administrator

Sadowsky Guitars

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 11:06:36 AM »

With the guitar preamp switch in the middle position (mid boost) and the mid boost gain control at zero, the preamp, is indeed, a buffer.

Roger

Please do not send me messages through the forum.  Please email me directly.  Thanks.
docbop

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 11:38:13 AM »

oops my mistake, I didn't realize you have a pre-amp in your guitars.  Been checking out the archtops too much.   
Gerard Burick
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 05:12:46 AM »

so does buffer mean that your volume knob changes without changing your tone, or does it mean you can throw a good signal with a longer cable?  I hadn't heard of this before.
Sadowsky
Administrator

Sadowsky Guitars

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 10:17:45 AM »

An active output removes the cable as a capacitor, so you can use longer lengths without any loss of signal, especially high end. 

Please do not send me messages through the forum.  Please email me directly.  Thanks.
IntenseJim

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 12:00:47 PM »

Buffer/on board Sadowsky preamp:

so does buffer mean that your volume knob changes without changing your tone,

No, I don't think so.  That preservation of tone or high end when rolling down your volume knob is a function of the way the guitar is wired with regard to it's pots and capacitors.  It is not related to the preamp or buffer from what I understand.

does it mean you can throw a good signal with a longer cable?  I hadn't heard of this before.

Yes.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 12:02:27 PM by IntenseJim » Logged

"I think the only repeat customer we have ever had is some Dr schmuck out in Reno." --Roger
P. Bass

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 02:03:22 PM »

......That preservation of tone or high end when rolling down your volume knob is a function of the way the guitar is wired with regard to it's pots and capacitors.  It is not related to the preamp or buffer from what I understand.

Is this consistent with all Sadowsky instruments?

*Fingers On Flats*
Gerard Burick
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 02:39:12 PM »

An active output removes the cable as a capacitor, so you can use longer lengths without any loss of signal, especially high end. 

Excellent!  That's one factor of active output instruments that I was never sure I understood before.  I appreciate the clarity!
IntenseJim

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 02:47:20 PM »

......That preservation of tone or high end when rolling down your volume knob is a function of the way the guitar is wired with regard to it's pots and capacitors.  It is not related to the preamp or buffer from what I understand.

Is this consistent with all Sadowsky instruments?

It is with my four Sadowsky electric solidbody guitars and my electric nylon.

The archtops and semihollowbody guitars do not have a preamp.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: