Sadowsky Guitars Web Forum
September 30, 2014, 05:54:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 500K Volume Pot  (Read 8125 times)
Joeykun

View Profile WWW
« on: June 24, 2010, 10:38:25 AM »

I hear the 500K Volume Pot is standard now in NYCs. Is this also the case for Metros?
Especially would like to know if the new MV4-WL (Will Lee Metro) have this option.

Endorsing Artist: GENZ BENZ / SADOWSKY
www.joeykun.com
58super

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 10:35:07 AM »

My new metro mv4 has a 500K volume pot.
Funnybass

Netherlands

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 04:59:25 PM »

What is the advantage to change the pot for a 500K?

Basses: Sadowsky MV5-24, Fender Precision USA, Fender Jazz '62, Fender Jazz '64 Custom Shop CC, Music Man Stingray '79 Pre Ernie Ball, De Gier Bebop, and more
Gear: Vanderkley VA615 Tube Preamp, Lab Gruppen fp3400, 2 x 212 Neolite Vanderkley, Glockenklang Bass Art Classic Amp
Joeykun

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 11:06:23 AM »

What is the advantage to change the pot for a 500K?

My understanding is that the tone of the Single Coil pickups is the overall goal here.
After many shop tests everyone agreed the 500K pot moved the Hum Cancelling pickups in this direction.
The 500K pot is now standard in all NYC and Metros instruments.

I was not sure if this was true with the Metros but according to 58super it looks like they are!

Endorsing Artist: GENZ BENZ / SADOWSKY
www.joeykun.com
Fran Diaz

Sadowskyfied!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 03:49:29 AM »

And what about basses that already have single coils? What can we expect from the 500K pot?

...and on P or PJ basses? would it be worth the swap?

later
Fran
NYC UltraVintage PJ4
Sweet Daddy Ray
Me on MySpace
gillento

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 03:21:06 PM »

And what about basses that already have single coils? What can we expect from the 500K pot?

Exactly my thoughts, as well.

--------------------------------------
performance starts with conviction
www.loes.lu
Vic

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 09:52:54 AM »

I've done the swap and have A/B'd basses with both pots.  While I agree the 500K change is an improvement, I don't believe it's a big enough deal to recommend everyone with the older 250K pots rush out and pay a tech to swap out for the 500K.  Roger may step in on this one, but IMHO there are two important differences between the HC and the SC pickups.  One is a little more going on in the "low treble" (or high midrange to some people).  The other is more of a low-mid or mid-mid focus and punch.  IMHO, the 500K pot changes makes the high end profile of the HC to be a bit more like the SC, but does nothing to change the stuff going on a bit lower.

So the bottom line is, it's a nice improvement to the high end profile, but I'd never tell anyone that it gets them very close to the same sound as swapping HC pickups for SC.  Don't get me wrong, I love the HC pickups, but if you really want that great SC sound, there's only one way to get it.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 10:09:56 AM by Vic » Logged

Vic
Sadowsky basses are the jam
Vic

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 10:11:39 AM »

IMHO, it's still an improvement.  I'm pretty sure that's why Roger made the 500K pot standard on all models regardless of pickup type (including the PJ).  I'm not sure about the soapbar models, but I would guess the 500K pot change is literally all models from now on.

Vic
Sadowsky basses are the jam
Sadowsky
Administrator

Sadowsky Guitars

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 12:56:16 PM »

I agree with everything Vic said!  Smiley

The issue for us regarding using 500K with single coils was did it have any negative effect?  It was easier to use the 500K for everything so we needed to be sure it worked fine with single coils and soapbars.  We are using the 500K for everything now but I do not see the need for folks who have single coils or soapbars to run out and switch.

Roger

Please do not send me messages through the forum.  Please email me directly.  Thanks.
jerry

Cogito Ergo Idiot

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 12:05:33 PM »

Considering the mod for my Metro RV5 as well, but now I'm curious if it came stock.  Is there a s/n cutoff, or I suppose the more applicable/selfish question:  would a Sadowsky wiz be able to confirm/deny whether M4146 has the 500k pot?  I'm not concerned about the minimal cost of the part, but rather the effort involved in drilling the hole to accommodate it.  Thanks in advance.

Jerry
Metro M5-24 #M432
Metro RV5 #M4146
Genz Benz, Bergantino, Epifani
chasarms

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 11:21:55 AM »

Considering the mod for my Metro RV5 as well, but now I'm curious if it came stock.  Is there a s/n cutoff, or I suppose the more applicable/selfish question:  would a Sadowsky wiz be able to confirm/deny whether M4146 has the 500k pot?  I'm not concerned about the minimal cost of the part, but rather the effort involved in drilling the hole to accommodate it.  Thanks in advance.

The pot value may be stamped on the back of the pot. It's easy enough to take off the cover plate and check. You can also test it with a DMM if you have one around.

Lastly, why would you have to drill anything? Is it not as simple as "de-soldering" (if that is a word) the 250K and installing the 500K in its place? other than resistance value, the pots should be identical, no?
58super

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2010, 12:44:41 PM »

The pot value may be stamped on the back of the pot. It's easy enough to take off the cover plate and check. You can also test it with a DMM if you have one around.

Lastly, why would you have to drill anything? Is it not as simple as "de-soldering" (if that is a word) the 250K and installing the 500K in its place? other than resistance value, the pots should be identical, no?

The 500K pot in my Metro is a mini pot. There's no drilling if replacing with a 250K mini pot but a full size pot's bushing won't fit through the hole.
jerry

Cogito Ergo Idiot

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 11:58:58 AM »

Our custom made 500K CTS volume pot. Smooth taper, smooth feel. Solid 6mm shaft. Includes brass sleeve for 1/4" knobs.
Note: Metro Line basses will need the volume pot hole enlarged to 3/8".

Thanks for the advice on pulling the control plate to check for a stamp...I'll take a peek.  Of course, all of this is moot if the SC pickups are never in stock.   Grin

Jerry
Metro M5-24 #M432
Metro RV5 #M4146
Genz Benz, Bergantino, Epifani
Legion

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2010, 10:28:37 AM »

I've done the swap and have A/B'd basses with both pots.  While I agree the 500K change is an improvement, I don't believe it's a big enough deal to recommend everyone with the older 250K pots rush out and pay a tech to swap out for the 500K.  Roger may step in on this one, but IMHO there are two important differences between the HC and the SC pickups.  One is a little more going on in the "low treble" (or high midrange to some people).  The other is more of a low-mid or mid-mid focus and punch.  IMHO, the 500K pot changes makes the high end profile of the HC to be a bit more like the SC, but does nothing to change the stuff going on a bit lower.

So the bottom line is, it's a nice improvement to the high end profile, but I'd never tell anyone that it gets them very close to the same sound as swapping HC pickups for SC.  Don't get me wrong, I love the HC pickups, but if you really want that great SC sound, there's only one way to get it.
I've just recently removed the 250k pot from my 2004 NYC UV PJ4 and installed the 500k - all I can say is it still sounds great! the differences seem to be subtle enough that you would need to compare side by side to detect the differences. I guess I would have to have made good quality sound clips to compare before and after to stand any chance of hearing the changes it may have made. I'm still happy to have "updated" it though, so no harm done:)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: