Sadowsky Guitars Web Forum
October 31, 2014, 01:51:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Flying with Sadowsky hard case  (Read 8180 times)
project_c

View Profile
« on: June 23, 2010, 04:00:21 PM »

I'm planning a trip to NYC from London and wondering if the Sadowsky hard case my Metro came in is sturdy and safe enough to check in with the rest of my luggage. I'll try to take the bass on as hand luggage, but I'd like to be sure just in case, some airlines have weird rules about instruments on board. Has anyone flown with these cases?
Sadowsky
Administrator

Sadowsky Guitars

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 10:28:19 PM »

With any case, you want to carry it to the boarding gate.  If they do not let you on with it, you request that it can be "gate checked" (checked right at the plane and returned to you immediately when you de-plane), like a baby stroller.

Roger

Please do not send me messages through the forum.  Please email me directly.  Thanks.
Gerard Burick
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 02:46:56 AM »

I'm happy to see this advice.  I'm planning to take one of my Sadowsky basses with me when I visit home (Erie, PA) this summer.  Hopefully, anyway.
Sadowsky
Administrator

Sadowsky Guitars

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 09:27:31 AM »

I personally think our Portabag is the best case for flying.....As a gig bag, it is easier to get past the gate people and it is just as protective as a hard case for gate checking.

Roger

Please do not send me messages through the forum.  Please email me directly.  Thanks.
IntenseJim

I <3 pow, boobs, and Sadowsky

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 09:33:30 AM »

I have flown with the Sadowsky gig bag. Not a problem.  Well, except that once they see the Sadowsky logo it's a guaranteed free pass to the mile high club.

The hardshell case....I concur with Roger.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 12:14:33 PM by IntenseJim » Logged

"I think the only repeat customer we have ever had is some Dr schmuck out in Reno." --Roger
Joeykun

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 12:10:50 PM »

I have flown with the Sadowsky gig bag. Not a problem.  Well, except that once they see the Sadowsky logo it's a guaranteed free pass to the mile high club.

I got to get me one of these gig bags!!!  Wink

Endorsing Artist: GENZ BENZ / SADOWSKY
www.joeykun.com
classicjazz

Bottom Feeders Unite!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 01:31:19 AM »

I've flown with this quite a number of times including to a trip to the Sadowsky shop from Florida.

This is the SKB SKB-44RW ATA Electric Bass Roller Case. The way it works is you put your axe in a gig bag, then it gets sealed up inside this sucker. Very secure, strong and well padded. Plus the wheels are a nice touch. The only thing is, it will not work with a Port-a-bag, it is too big. You will need a regular type soft gig bag. Like I said, I flown with it quite a bit and had zero issues. I did not blink twice about checking in my bass. They sell these on MusiciansFriend.com for around $125. Mine survived the baggage monkeys at LaGuardia Airport a number of times, so I think that is a good test!

« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 01:36:51 AM by classicjazz » Logged

dexter71

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 09:19:10 PM »

Well my friend... I wish you luck!

here goes some of my experience with flying my sadowsky basses internationally:

1st time) I bought a Metro UV70 (shipped from Sadowsky in the UltraLight Case) and a PortaBag. The bass came on board the plane inside the PortaBag and the UltraLight was checked empty, so no problem. (feb/march 2009)

2nd time) They let me bring the RV5PJ on board the plane inside the UltraLight Case (I have no idea how they agreed on that, but I didn´t want to question their decision either). (end 2009)

3rd time) On June 11th they didn´t let me do the gate check with the hardshell case when the bass was flying to Brazil. Actually, my NYC 24F5 flew in the luggage compartment twice (miami - sao paulo; sao paulo - rio de janeiro). Needless to say that I almost died of a heart attack twice, to say the least. (Few weeks ago)

long story short.. they all arrived in one piece, but I can tell that the hardshell case suffered a bit. Anyway.. thanks god it was a good hardshell case and I locked it before checking it in Smiley

!!! BTW !!.. the ground staff (in Miami and Sao Paulo) was kind enough to tell me that if I wanted to bring the hardshell case on board with me, all I had to do was buy a ticket for the bass.. AFTER having said on the phone that it would be no problem to bring the bass on board.

SO.. If I were you, I would play safe. I don´t know if this is possible, but I would recommend you to go to the airport, bringing the bass in the case with you, and show them what you are carrying before the date of your trip. If they say NO, pad it well and ship it in a box, like if you were shipping it via Fedex.

The SKB, as classic jazz pointed out, may be an option. If they sell one of those over there, take a look. Smiley

have a nice trip, projec c!

cheers,

« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 09:25:20 PM by dexter71 » Logged

... love all, trust a few ...
cripula

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 04:50:59 AM »

I've flown vintage Fenders many, MANY times in their hard cases and never had a problem. Yes, I feel lucky  Cheesy

Now I've gone the SKB bass safe route like classicjazz recommended. It's great - bass in nice protective gig bag ala Glenn Cronkhite, into the bass safe, and in the hold with it.

One great thing about having made the move from old Fenders to a Sadowsky P/J for touring is if the old Fender got trashed, destroyed, or lost it would be tough to replace. With the sadowsky I know a replacement is a phone call away, and it's going to be as good or better than the one that got lost/destroyed/whatever. That's very comforting.
project_c

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 03:10:18 PM »

thanks for the replies - I've done a bit of research into this, and both British Airways and Virgin Atlantic are both very cagey about taking the instrument on board. I booked my ticked with BA, because their website says the following:

"If you have an item of baggage (such as a musical instrument) larger or heavier than the maximum dimensions and weight for unchecked baggage but unsuitable to be carried as checked baggage, we will carry it in the aircraft cabin if:

-you told us before you checked in that you wanted to take it into the aircraft cabin
-we agreed with you before you checked in to carry it in the aircraft cabin and
-you have paid us any extra charge that applies for this service."  Huh

On another page it also says the following:

"Musical instruments may be carried in addition to your stated hand baggage allowance, providing the dimensions do not exceed those of a guitar and providing it can be security screened."

HOWEVER, I just spoke to BA, and they told me that none of this was guaranteed, and the whole thing basically depends on what mood the check-in staff are in. And that fills me with fear and dread. Gate-checking sounds like a great idea, but again, I am unsure about how much that proceedure also depends on the mood of the staff at the check-in desk. So my options are:

- buy the SKB case, cross fingers and hope for the best
- check the bass in with rest of luggage in Sadowsky hard case, REALLY cross my fingers and hope for the best
- travel without Sadowsky, buy a cheap used p-bass once I get to NYC and avoid all headaches. (not ideal)
dexter71

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 03:25:50 PM »

thanks for the replies - I've done a bit of research into this, and both British Airways and Virgin Atlantic are both very cagey about taking the instrument on board. I booked my ticked with BA, because their website says the following:

"If you have an item of baggage (such as a musical instrument) larger or heavier than the maximum dimensions and weight for unchecked baggage but unsuitable to be carried as checked baggage, we will carry it in the aircraft cabin if:

-you told us before you checked in that you wanted to take it into the aircraft cabin
-we agreed with you before you checked in to carry it in the aircraft cabin and
-you have paid us any extra charge that applies for this service."  Huh

On another page it also says the following:

"Musical instruments may be carried in addition to your stated hand baggage allowance, providing the dimensions do not exceed those of a guitar and providing it can be security screened."

HOWEVER, I just spoke to BA, and they told me that none of this was guaranteed, and the whole thing basically depends on what mood the check-in staff are in. And that fills me with fear and dread. Gate-checking sounds like a great idea, but again, I am unsure about how much that proceedure also depends on the mood of the staff at the check-in desk. So my options are:

- buy the SKB case, cross fingers and hope for the best
- check the bass in with rest of luggage in Sadowsky hard case, REALLY cross my fingers and hope for the best
- travel without Sadowsky, buy a cheap used p-bass once I get to NYC and avoid all headaches. (not ideal)

That´s exactly what I was talking about.
You can also do a kamikaze move and put your bass in a regular gig bag and hope that the check-in staff will think it is a guitar.

anyway.. best of luck! hope all goes well!

cheers,

... love all, trust a few ...
rulyongo

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 09:47:43 PM »

Yeah, the best way to go is with the Portabag or gig bag and try to take it on the plane, most of the time, specially if you do like I do and fly on the redeye flights, they let you keep it, if you can't at least gate check it.
Charles Baldwin

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 02:23:08 PM »

The thing that roasts my peanuts is the stuff folks carry on and wont gate check taking up space in the overheads that could be used for your instrument.

I played a crazy game with a gate agent in Vegas. Bass fit in overhead coming to Vegas but it they claimed it wont fit coming home same type of aircraft.

I use the Sadowsky Incase Bag for flying which is similar to the Portabag. Fits in overhead great protection and I don't feel too nervous about gate checking on a commuter flight.

Some flight attendants are super nice and want to take of your axe as much as you do.

Slave to the Rhythm

Sad Basses make Happy Faces
project_c

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 06:35:08 PM »

just to update this - in case anyone is interested - having spoke to British Airways again quoting their rules on their website, they have now guaranteed that I can bring my bass on board both ways. As it turns out, the *real* rules are that as long as you phone ahead and speak to the right people, BA allow you to bring it onboard. Worth keeping in mind for anyone travelling across the pond - Virgin Atlantic do not allow this, it's just BA as far as I know.

I'm really happy about this - let's hope they keep their promise.
Dbass60

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2010, 10:46:52 PM »

Hi

I fly a lot and I have a Mooradian gig bag from Sadowsky and no problem in getting my bass aboard. I recommend to purchase the seats from the middle of the plane to the back so you can board the plane first and get a space on the overhead compartment, it fits just perfect.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: