Sadowsky Guitars Web Forum
October 23, 2014, 11:06:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VTC & Battery life  (Read 3331 times)
bigRalph

View Profile WWW
« on: June 14, 2010, 03:25:47 PM »

If I bypass the VTC, does the battery still drain as long as the cable is plugged in?
RonenTat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 12:25:43 AM »

Yes  Sad

I misread your post earlier.
There is no way to bypass the VTC - it's a passive tone control. You can bypass the preamp.
In any case, as long as a cable is inserted you're draining the battery.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 01:40:49 AM by RonenTat » Logged
IntenseJim

I <3 pow, boobs, and Sadowsky

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 12:52:39 AM »

+ 1

VTC is passive and 'unrelated' to the active on-board preamp with it's bass and treble boost

"I think the only repeat customer we have ever had is some Dr schmuck out in Reno." --Roger
Fran Diaz

Sadowskyfied!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 03:13:20 AM »

If I bypass the VTC, does the battery still drain as long as the cable is plugged in?

The one thing in common between the VTC and the preamp bypass switch is that they share the same pot, but the VTC is always in the signal chain, active or passive.

later
Fran
NYC UltraVintage PJ4
Sweet Daddy Ray
Me on MySpace
Sadowsky
Administrator

Sadowsky Guitars

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 07:06:08 PM »

I assume what you mean is "does the battery still drain as long as the cable is plugged in, even if the preamp is bypassed."   The answer is YES.  The battery switch is built into the jack, not the bypass switch.

Roger

Please do not send me messages through the forum.  Please email me directly.  Thanks.
chasarms

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 03:26:03 PM »

+ 1
VTC is passive and 'unrelated' to the active on-board preamp with it's bass and treble boost

Yes, but in the interest of clarity, the control still is a passive treble cut in either mode. That is, it will cut the treble in both active and passive mode.
Gerard Burick
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 12:13:42 AM »

VTC is a separate entity from the active preamp.  When you bypass your preamp, it's the same idea as the bass and treble boost not being there at all.  Compare the bypass in both positions with your bass and treble boost knobs rolled all the way back.  VTC works the same regardless of the position your active toggle switch or push/pull is set.  Also, your VTC will work even if you don't have a battery installed or if you bypass the preamp.

If your battery dies, you will have to bypass your preamp to send a signal at all. 

If you notice distortion or volume changes while your preamp is active, it's time for a new battery... also I do believe there are battery testers available through the Sadowsky Online Shop that jack in with an instrument cable on your bass and show a reading for battery life so you don't have to remove your battery for testing.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: