Sadowsky Guitars Web Forum
July 28, 2014, 04:17:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: SAdowsky Archtops  (Read 11615 times)
jazzgtrl4

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2010, 11:51:41 AM »

WOW, that is hip. i want one of those now, and a Jimmy Bruno...man oh and the Nylon..

While I can't state this with certainty, I think you might find owning an SS-15 and a Jimmy Bruno a little redundant. They are very close to being the same guitar, the only difference that I'm aware of is that the SS is a little thinner.

So, get an SS-15 or a JB, and then get a Jim Hall or a Semi Hollow if you want two Sadowskys besides the Nylon!  :-)

Right i hear ya, i already have a SH so getting the SS-15 would kinda be redundant right? id like a Jimmy Bruno possibly
AllenL

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2010, 03:18:49 PM »

Hi Carl,

Thanks for posting pics of your SS-15 on my behalf.  I just joined photobuckets and was successful in posting a pic of my SS-15.  Thanks again for turning me on to the SS-15 to begin with  Smiley

Allen
[/quote]
It was all my pleasure, both because the guitar is worth promoting and I made a good friend in the process.

Your pic is a Sadowsky stock pic, I think. Is that right? Isn't the color of your guitar closer to the color of my pics or is it more towards the red as your pic shows?
[/quote]
Carl,

Yes...the pic I posted is a Sadowsky photo of my actual guitar.  Based on your pic viewed on my computer display, my SS-15 appears a bit more on the so called "red" side, but not as much as in the shop photo.

Looking forward to you and the wife coming out to the SF area in August!   Smiley

Allen
AllenL

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2010, 03:45:22 PM »

WOW, that is hip. i want one of those now, and a Jimmy Bruno...man oh and the Nylon..

While I can't state this with certainty, I think you might find owning an SS-15 and a Jimmy Bruno a little redundant. They are very close to being the same guitar, the only difference that I'm aware of is that the SS is a little thinner.

So, get an SS-15 or a JB, and then get a Jim Hall or a Semi Hollow if you want two Sadowskys besides the Nylon!  :-)

Right i hear ya, i already have a SH so getting the SS-15 would kinda be redundant right? id like a Jimmy Bruno possibly

Not necessarily.  The SS-15 sounds different from the Semi.  It has a woodier tone and more articulate note definition.  The clearer definition could also be becuase the strings are new on my SS-15 and the strings on my semi are a nice broken in set, thus rounding the notes a bit.  However, the mere fact the JB is thicker, will naturally render a slightly fuller voice for the instrument.  Don't get me wrong the S-15 is not wimpy by any stretch of the imagination.

Another reason I chose the SS-15 over the JB was, I preferred the black hardware.  Like Carl said, you can't go wrong with either one.

I also like to comment a bit about the nylon string.  I picked up a used 1990 model that Roger built himself. I was pleasantly amazed at how nylon sounding this guitar was, just plugged into a regular guitar amp (simple 1980s Polytone minibrute II).  Does it sound exactly like an acoustic nylon?...obviously not...the physics are different....but the basic nylon character is there is spades.  I've been disappointed auditioning many electric nylons over the years.  They just didn't capture the nylon sound.  Roger figured it out in 1990.  The transducer/preamp setup in this guitar captures the nylon voice nicely, without having to to plug into a good PA rig.
croth

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2010, 09:45:22 PM »

One major difference betwen the upcoming SS-15 and the JB is the SS-15 will have a 1-3/4" nut width and the Bruno has 1-11/16".  I think one of the qualities Carl may be having trouble describing is that the acoustic response of the SS-15 in more "immediate", due to the thinner body.  It's a great guitar and I am very pleased with it.  I will officially release it in about 4-5 weeks.

roger
Ah, true that, Roger. I had forgotten that the next series of SS-15s would have the 1-3/4 nut width. I believe that the first incarnation, of which mine and Allen's are one, has the same 1-11/16 nut width as the JB. Whichever way, it is a very fine guitar.
croth

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2010, 09:51:01 PM »

I think you got that a little backwards from what I said...  ;-)  The SS-15 is not similar to the Semi Hollow except in size and shape. The SS is closer to a JB, except, as Roger points out, the new ones will have a 1-3/4 nut width.
croth

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2010, 12:01:42 AM »

Hi Carl,

Thanks for posting pics of your SS-15 on my behalf.  I just joined photobuckets and was successful in posting a pic of my SS-15.  Thanks again for turning me on to the SS-15 to begin with  Smiley

Allen
It was all my pleasure, both because the guitar is worth promoting and I made a good friend in the process.

Your pic is a Sadowsky stock pic, I think. Is that right? Isn't the color of your guitar closer to the color of my pics or is it more towards the red as your pic shows?
[/quote]
Carl,

Yes...the pic I posted is a Sadowsky photo of my actual guitar.  Based on your pic viewed on my computer display, my SS-15 appears a bit more on the so called "red" side, but not as much as in the shop photo.

Looking forward to you and the wife coming out to the SF area in August!   Smiley

Allen

[/quote]
Ok that's interesting because the color rendition of my photo is pretty close to the actual color of my guitar. I thought our colors would be closer. Both are nice though.

You will see me in August Allen! We're looking forward to it.
AllenL

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2010, 06:22:49 PM »

One major difference betwen the upcoming SS-15 and the JB is the SS-15 will have a 1-3/4" nut width and the Bruno has 1-11/16".  I think one of the qualities Carl may be having trouble describing is that the acoustic response of the SS-15 in more "immediate", due to the thinner body.  It's a great guitar and I am very pleased with it.  I will officially release it in about 4-5 weeks.

roger
[/quote]

Hi Roger,

Are you still planning on joining the neck with the body at the 14th fret as opposed to the 15th, that's currently on Carl's and my SS-15?  I happen to like the neck specs (1-11/16 nut width & joining body at 15th fret) on my guitar. Either case, it will be a fine playing and sounding instrument.

Allen
stratcat

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2010, 01:27:43 AM »

Hi Allen!  Good to know the Nylon's still working out well!  (got your last email, but have been a bit slack on my replies lately  Roll Eyes).
 Cool
Chris

Sadowsky Nylon and Semi-Hollow.  Smiley
Sadowsky
Administrator

Sadowsky Guitars

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2010, 02:33:56 PM »

I hate to self-promote, but I just have to share this email from my friend Cory.  Cory has an amazing collection of guitars, but recently tweaked his collection to specialize in 1959 Gibsons.  A couple of months ago, he purchased an SS-15 and a Semi-Hollow from me, and then went and purchased a second SH for his brother.  I just received this email from him:

Mark and I are both on ours like white on rice. We may not know shit from shinola about playing, but we both have hypercritical ears and hands and we're known to be cynical, hypercritical, and whatever the opposite of suckup/sycophant is...

And we may not be on the tonight show but mark and I have both had the equally rare opportunity to play roughly a dozen of the all-time best of the best of 330s/335s/350s/225s and other semis  new and old, side by side, one after the other, same room/s, same retinue of amps, same strings, same cables, same day and so on.

Yours is not just in a different league, but rather between us we could not come up with one single "if only" and, more telling, a single "I'd trade this feature/aspect away for X". It wants for NOTHING.

And as far as I know having owned several hundred, finding a guitar that wants for nothing is nigh impossible. (Duh, hence the term holy grail!)But you know, its the first guitar where I've even been able to say it doesn't seem to matter that's an even-tempered instrument. What a killer instrument. Mark has dropped everything else and can't let go of it. Playing it 6+ hours a day. Great couch guitar too.

Awards we bestowed

1. "most comfortable guitar I've played"
2. best neck/board/fret combo I've played ever
3. best unplugged sound ever heard for an electric
4. best-made guitar I've ever owned(workmanship, att'n to detail, materials, finishes)
5. Most even tone we own, with special focus on clear, clean, even, consistent, warm response almost anywhere on the fretboard

Rock on !

Cory

« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 04:24:46 PM by Sadowsky » Logged

Please do not send me messages through the forum.  Please email me directly.  Thanks.
IntenseJim

I <3 pow, boobs, and Sadowsky

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2010, 04:20:53 PM »

Roger,

That's quite a letter albeit not surprising. Smiley

With the proliferation of Sadowsky set neck hollow and semihollow guitars, are there plans to make a solidbody set neck guitar?

« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 04:22:32 PM by IntenseJim » Logged

"I think the only repeat customer we have ever had is some Dr schmuck out in Reno." --Roger
AllenL

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2010, 05:14:31 PM »

Hi Allen!  Good to know the Nylon's still working out well!  (got your last email, but have been a bit slack on my replies lately  Roll Eyes).
 Cool
Chris

No problem Chris.  Thanks for all your prior input on the Sadowsky Nylon!

Allen
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: