Sadowsky Guitars Web Forum
November 27, 2014, 01:40:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Preamp gain question  (Read 4664 times)
gregmerrill

View Profile
« on: June 07, 2010, 03:30:25 PM »

Just curious how everyone is running their on-board Sadowsky preamp? I just got my bass so I’m still experimenting, having only done 4 gigs with the bass. So far what I have liked best is running the preamp at about 30-40% both treble and bass. I have the Lee model and have been leaving the mid-boost off, it is just to nasal for my taste but that is the factory setting. I will mess around with it when I get some time.  I do understand that these settings would change depending on what song or style you’re playing ect or if you’re going direct or using an amp. What I’m looking for is what in general everyone seems to like best in setting the preamp gain on their bass, some maybe not using the preamp at all. Your thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.
chasarms

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 04:32:14 PM »

I just got a PJ5 with the reverse PU configuration. I have only played mine in a mix a couple of times, but as of now, my favorite setting is the preamp engaged but flat. Basically BT full counter, passive tone full open and the PUs at the center detent. Maybe I should wire the preamp straight to the PUs  !  Smiley
bikeplate
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 06:31:07 PM »

HI

Your gonna get 50 different answers on this one.  Depends on how u like your tone, strings you use, amp settings, etc.  I use SS roundwounds and like my bass to go "boing"   LOL.  I have the VTC full on, trebel flat, and roll the bass knob up to get a nice, warm tone on stage.  Usually about 30% range.  I go thru strings in a about 4 gigs.  I dont sweat but whatever oils are in my hands kill strings.  I either run the pickup pan centered or slightly towards the bridge.  I do use my Mid boost on my WL here and there.  Id experiment with the levels in the back before switching from the factory setting.  Mine sounds amazing when boosted.  Ive also found that a Sadowsky 5 needs less bass boost than a 4.  Roger has said this is due to the mass of the neck

Rob
Gerard Burick
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 11:13:19 PM »

Fortunately, the Sadowsky preamp doesn't distort even when the bass and treble are boosted 100%.

I usually boost them evenly... maybe about 50% and I get a nice thick sound I like with enough presence.

You really can't go wrong. 

Twist the knobs to taste!
RonenTat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 01:10:27 AM »

Hi, usually I'd cut a little highs with the VTC and add bass & treble as needed. It all depends on where I play, what the acoustic situation is and the kind of sound suited for the song played. No golden rules really. Whatever you do You cannot get it to sound bad...
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 01:14:29 AM by RonenTat » Logged
gillento

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 02:20:11 AM »

VTC full open or slightly cut with new strings
treble boost is flat

bass bosted about 30% on the alder/RW PJ, a bit more on the ash/maple JJ

--------------------------------------
performance starts with conviction
www.loes.lu
bigRalph

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 04:36:03 PM »

Like someone inferred, this will depend on how you like your tone. I don't leave mine on one setting because I like to tune in the room  and I also play several formats - one band might want me to play old school deep and thick and another might want me slap happy and bright.

Just my .02
rob2966

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 06:24:56 PM »

I have a 24F5 w/ SS rounds.  VTC full open (unless the string are super-new or I am trying to play something Motown).  Bass and treble about 20%.

Later
Rob
IntenseJim

I <3 pow, boobs, and Sadowsky

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 12:29:50 AM »

Depends on which bass I use and what tone(s) work for the song and style.

"I think the only repeat customer we have ever had is some Dr schmuck out in Reno." --Roger
ElMon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 04:18:10 PM »

With Pickups panned in the center on my PJ5, I boost bass/treble about 30% or so, and use the VTC for fingerstyle/slap sounds depending.  Usually off.  I keep my volume knob about halfway up.  I use this setting on 90% of my gigs.

With the Neck pickup favored, I keep the same settings but backoff the volume slightly.

With the Bridge pickup favored, I boost the bass to about 50% and turn up the volume. 
HenryD

Himynameishenry

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 09:15:50 AM »

Typically I have VTC on full or rolled back 25% bass boosted 25% and treble flat or boosted 25%
with the pickup blend right down the middle.

A little goes a long way on these.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: