Sadowsky Guitars Web Forum
September 03, 2014, 12:35:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Metro RV4 Dimensions?  (Read 1907 times)
Day Tripper

View Profile
« on: March 18, 2012, 11:49:22 PM »

I am looking to purchase my first Sadowsky bass in the very near future.  Smiley

I am unsure as to whether to go with a Metro Vintage or a Metro Ultra Vintage 70.

I could not find any info on the dimensions of the Metro RV4. I know it is an undersize but am curious to know how much smaller it is than a standard sized Jazz Bass?

kkozy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 05:55:36 PM »

Hi DT,

I own a RV4 '59 Burst and I own a '76 Fender Jazz.  When I read your question it got me thinking, so I got out a tape measure, got my 2 basses and started measuring.  The difference amounts to about a 1/2 inch in each measurement or if you took a router to the '76 and removed a 1/4 inch all the way around, you would basically have an RV4.
What I would consider a bigger question is regarding the PU placement.  There is a noticeable difference between the '60 and '70 positions.  They both sound great but I would recommend that you make your decision based on that rather than body size.  Truth be told, I don't notice any difference in the body size when I play, what I notice is the difference in the necks and the sound.

Food for thought!

KKOZY Wink
KenOnBass

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 10:01:29 PM »

I've had both and prefer the full-sized body a bit more, but am getting less discerning.  Roger calls the RV body a 7/8ths size (compare to Fenders), I think.  I definitely notice a difference in how the upper bout hits my chest , but unless you've been long accustomed to Fenders, you'll never notice the difference (especially if you play mostly standing up.)

The UV70 pick-up placement in the bridge makes the tone a bit more aggressive...which I like.  I'd start with an RV4 if possible  to see if you notice the mass difference...unless a deal comes up for a UV70.  The RV4 should be a tad lighter.

Good Luck.  Can't go wrong either way.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: