Sadowsky Guitars Web Forum
October 31, 2014, 02:15:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: NYC Modern 24 or Will Lee  (Read 4885 times)
Krill

View Profile
« on: February 01, 2012, 04:49:42 AM »

Hi!
I've got a four string NYC Will Lee that I've got an opportunity to trade for a five string 24 fret modern with soapbars. The problem is I've only tried it through a tiny 5" speaker that didn't give a really good picture of the sound. The playability was fantastic and it felt like it weighed almost the same as the Will Lee.

My main reason for trading is that I need a five stringer more than a four stringer and living in Sweden I rarely see any Sadowsky owners, let alone one that is willing to trade away a fiver. However I love the sound of the single coils in the 60's positions.

I know this is extremely subjective but my question is how much do you feel the sound of the Modern differ from the Will Lee? Would they sound a bit more similar by changing the pickups for Nordy Big Singles or is the positioning to much off?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 05:23:26 AM by Krill » Logged
Musicfreak1988

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 09:45:23 AM »

If you like the sound of single coils in 60s position, I'd keep the WL. If you need to go low, you can use the D-tuner. Will Lee himself even sets it to drop to a low C.
The 24F5 won't sound like a 60s single coil instrument, even with Nordstrand Big Singles. Both pickups of the 24F5 are closer to the bridge than on your WL. The 24F5 would cut through like mad, but would sound very modern compared to your WL. There's just something about that pillow a 60s single coil instrument can deliver.
You could always save some money, sell your WL4 and order a WL5...  Grin
jerzia

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 07:46:18 PM »

Well here you go, Will Lee himself playing a Modern. Enough pillow for my tastes..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCkx5O7zUU0&feature=youtu.be
Musicfreak1988

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 03:54:41 PM »

Well, I'm not saying the 24F5 doesn't deliver a pillow if you want it to. Just saying there's something about that 60s single sound.
kkozy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 01:12:43 PM »

FYI, I was watching Letterman the other night, Will Lee's day job, and I caught a glimpse of Will playing a white Sadowsky that I had never seen before.  There weren't any really good shots of the bass but it looked like it had a soapbar in the bridge position.  I emailed Roger and he confirmed that it was a new bass and that it had soapbars in the 60's position, and Will loves it!
So, how about a WL5 with soapbars in the 60's position; sounds great on the tube.

Something to think about.

K
Sadowsky
Administrator

Sadowsky Guitars

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 03:44:52 PM »

Here is the Will Lee bass with the Sadowsky narrow soapbars.  Will is using this now as his main ax on Letterman.  It is officially available now as an option on the Will Lee Model.

Please do not send me messages through the forum.  Please email me directly.  Thanks.
Musicfreak1988

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 09:57:56 AM »

Looks great... Too bad I can't watch Letterman here in Belgium.

Can't wait to play mine  Grin.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 09:59:29 AM by Musicfreak1988 » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: