Sadowsky Guitars Web Forum
September 21, 2014, 08:06:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: MMmmmm .. need some input on this one.. G-string buzz  (Read 3236 times)
Boogyman

Honky Tonkin' with Sadowsky

View Profile
« on: December 20, 2011, 09:49:35 AM »

I have a PJ-5 #5258 an am experiencing some very noticable fret buzz on the G-string, usually between the 4th and 7th frets. I have had this condition since it was new and have followed Roger's recommendations. I tried to set the neck up myself and it seemed to alleviate some, but not all of the noise. The string just really sounds dead in the first 6 frets. No other string is affected. subsequently, I have taken it to three different techs referenced by other players in town with the same results.... until the last tech looked at it. He is familiar with Sadowsky basses and has done several setups for road cats out of Oklahoma. His diagnosis was that he thinks the neck is either twisted or the nut groove has been cut too deep. He did express some surprise about the bass, especially from Sadowsky. Even with new strings the buzz progressively worsens over a nights gig and I am having to adjust it between sets. I am at the frustration point... so now what???

"Bob, the Pink will be a monument to your manhood"' Roger Sadowsky.
NYC Vintage PJ5, Shell Pink, #5258.
leroyd

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 02:30:12 PM »

It sounds to me that shipping the bass to the sadowsky crew is the best way to sort this one out. Give them a call. I had a difficulty with the neck on my bass and it was sorted out to my satisfaction by Roger
Boogyman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 08:49:27 AM »

Thanks leroyd for the input....I'm still mulling over my options at this point. I contacted Roger about this issue earlier this year and he made some suggestions, mainly to let a local tech work it!!! not sure thats a option any longer. The Bass is only 1 1/2 years old and hasn't been abused at all, just played regularly. It don't get left in the vehicles between gigs and it doesn't get laid around. My '76 Jazz bass gets abused and has proved to be bullet proof... other than the typical analog "hum" it's still rockin', no problems with the neck at all... Boogy On!!!!

Sadowsky
Administrator

Sadowsky Guitars

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 01:54:50 PM »

Hi Bob,

I originally suggested you see a local tech to save you the trouble of having to ship it to me for what I assumed was some basic set-up issues.  But apparently you do not have a good local tech if he blamed the problem on the nut slot.  Once you fret the string, the nut is irrelevant and has no effect on what you are hearing.

So I suggest you send the bass to us and let's see what is going on and take care of it for you.
Please include all of your contact info and a description of the problem.

Roger

Please do not send me messages through the forum.  Please email me directly.  Thanks.
Boogyman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 10:23:40 AM »

Thanks Roger... I have one Tech I want to look at it when I get to Georgia after the first of the year. He's done work for me before and I am familiar with his knowledge and skill level. I'll let him take a look at it and if he recomends that it should be sent to you I will contact you. The bass is awesome and I hate letting it leave my hands even for one gig, much less for several. I'll keep you informed. As far as the local techs.... well......... I'll just leave it at that. Have a Merry Christmas !!!!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: