Sadowsky Guitars Web Forum
July 29, 2014, 04:52:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: LED Fret Marker lights  (Read 3952 times)
Gerard Burick

View Profile WWW
« on: October 21, 2011, 03:10:44 PM »

I eventually plan to own an instrument with LED marker lights.  I'm thinking about doing side and face markers. 

I'm wondering if there are pros or cons to retrofitting them into an already existing instrument and if there are any advantages to having them installed on a brand new build.  I don't know anything about how they are installed. 

I am also curious about who anyone would recommend.  I hear great things about SIMS over in the UK, but I'm always open to suggestion.

If anyone has SIMS or another type of LED light, I would be very interested in more information to help me narrow down my choices.

As always, thanks for taking the time to read this.  I look forward to the replies!

Keeping the Theory Alive since 2002
RMCat

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 06:06:53 AM »

Hi Gerard. I recently took delivery of a couple of LED equipped basses, including a long awaited Sad. Maybe I can help by sharing my opinions. I have an Alembic with side markers, and I would advise getting the softest LED lense you can for a side fitting. If they're too bright the contrast with a dim stage environment can be troublesome. As for the face markers, my Sad gets called the light sabre! So bright, but it doesn't trouble me at all. If I bought another it'd just be on the face.
Yes, Sims did an absolutely flawless job. I know there are other companies who do amazing work too. Retrofits can be done, and without undue difficulty. I'm sure if the bass is new and made with the LEDs in mind it would be easier, but I guess it all comes down to the dollars you want to spend. To me it just seems like a great excuse to buy another Sad. If they are installed in an existing build I guess the board would have to be removed, although an email to the guys at Sims wouldn't go astray in answering your questions. Hope this helps some!

'Your low B could sink the titanic, no iceberg required' - nicest thing anyone ever said to me
NYC M24F5 #5668
NYC M24F5 #5685
NYC Vintage 5 #6111
and a few Alembics etc...
Sadowsky
Administrator

Sadowsky Guitars

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 09:52:11 AM »

Sims does not remove the fingerboard to install the LEDs.  Also, the brightness can be adjusted by a resistor or installing a trim pot where the resistor get's installed at the power switch.

Roger

Please do not send me messages through the forum.  Please email me directly.  Thanks.
Gerard Burick

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 01:13:39 PM »

Very cool!  I appreciate both of you shedding a little light on the situation for me.  I'm still trying to decide if I want to order a whole new bass with LEDs and/or have some LEDs installed on my current basses. 

I am a HUGE fan of understated inlays or no inlays at all.  If I use LEDs, I would prefer they not be too bright.  I would likely go blue.

A few years ago, I met Christian Olde Wolbers (formerly of Fear Factory) playing his guitar with Arkaea and I will include a video of him with his guitar to show you his SIMS. 

This is the same kind of look I would like.  I also really like how they are all at the "top" of his fingerboard, rather than the middle. 

I would definitely opt for a trim pot and a kill switch for LEDs so I could tailor their brightness for any lighting situation. 

There is something to be said for how far we can go these days to customize instruments!  I currently own two Sadowsky basses, and I could never replace them... just add more to my collection and/or do little things, like adding LEDs just to make them even more fun for myself. 

Thank you again for chiming in, guys!

Here is the video I mentioned earlier...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBWmzEObxTU

Keeping the Theory Alive since 2002
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: