Sadowsky Guitars Web Forum
November 23, 2014, 09:44:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Amazon rosewood  (Read 5655 times)
Musicfreak1988

View Profile
« on: November 16, 2011, 12:17:30 PM »

Hi all,

For those who wonder about the looks of amazon rosewood: I posted this on TalkBass:

The neck of my WL5 on order. I received this pic a month and a half ago, so I hope it's already a little further in the build process. Anyway, I wanted to share this 'cause my initial spec was Brazilian rosewood for the fingerboard. Just when the fingerboard and its MOP dots were finished, I got an e-mail, saying that they can't ship Brazilian, MOP and abalone outside the U.S., so I had to choose another fingerboard wood and regular dots. With the assistance of Kevin & Roger - stating that amazon is the closest you can get to Brazilian - I chose for amazon rosewood, which looks like this (see pics below). Although I like the amazon very much, it still hurts a little looking at Brazilian, but I'll have to wait till I hear it to judge its sound.

In case you want to picture the finished instrument: it's going to be Candy Apple Red with a matching headstock. I will be ordering a parchment and a tort guard. Ash body.

vs. Brazilian:

This baby will be joining its little brother & sister in the near future I hope Smiley.

Ash / Brazilian JJ4 with single coils in 60s position.

Ash / Brazilian PJ4 with abalone dots and reverse headstock.

This one's no longer mine (sold it to fund the WL5). It was / is a great bass that found a new home in Switzerland. Some day in the future, I will (want to) own a Modern in that color.

Ash / Brazilian with abalone inlays and Big Singles in 70s position.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 02:28:33 AM by Musicfreak1988 » Logged
Bikeplate
Global Moderator

Man on a Mission!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 02:00:45 PM »

HI

Still gonna be amazing.  Nice choice

Rob

Sadowsky Endorsed Artist
IntenseJim

I <3 pow, boobs, and Sadowsky

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 01:27:09 AM »

If they had not told you it, you'd never know the difference.

I am the opposite: they've made a few guitars for me with RW boards and asked me which rosewood I wanted. I told them I really didn't care . They put on Brazilian for the fingerboard but I'd be fine with any rosewood from the crew.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 01:29:26 AM by IntenseJim » Logged

"I think the only repeat customer we have ever had is some Dr schmuck out in Reno." --Roger
Musicfreak1988

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 02:38:02 AM »

I don't doubt that it's going to be a superb instrument, just like the others I have / have had.

I'm sure their non-Brazilian is great wood too, but after owning a few basses without Brazilian, and now some with this wood, I have to say that the ones that had a Brazilian board, all sounded extremely well, while the ones without, some of them DID sound excellent as well, but some others sounded dull.
No doubt that craftsmanship is involved as well, but some of the ones that didn't have a Brazilian board and were built by other high-end luthiers, did still end up sounding quite dull.

In the end, like I said, I trust Roger's experience in the field for 100% and I know this is going to be another killer instrument. Heck, I even trusted him so much (and, I admit, the raving reviews he got and still gets), I bought my first Sadowsky without ever playing one.

Funny story: when my first Sadowsky arrived and when I took the soft case out of the cardboard box, I was like "Sh*t, they forgot to put in the bass". I guess I wasn't used to lightweight instruments Wink.
Sadowsky
Administrator

Sadowsky Guitars

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 09:13:41 PM »

Amazon Rosewood is so similar to Brazilian Rosewood that even experts have difficulty telling them apart.

See here:
http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/club-sadowsky-part-25-a-810474/index34.html#post11778337

Roger

Please do not send me messages through the forum.  Please email me directly.  Thanks.
Musicfreak1988

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 04:08:19 PM »

That's my post right there Smiley. I was truly surprised to see the pic Kevin sent me of my amazon rosewood fingerboard. I didn't expect it to be SO nice, SO Brazilian-like. I can't wait to play my WL5. Should be completed in December, Kevin said  Grin.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: