Sadowsky Guitars Web Forum
April 23, 2014, 11:15:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Neck Adjustment... twist?  (Read 2364 times)
Gerard Burick

View Profile WWW
« on: June 03, 2011, 08:29:16 PM »

I just noticed something odd on one of my basses... namely #3408... which is a nice 2004 model Modern 5 JJ in black with a maple neck and fretboard... it's actually pictured in my avatar.  Don't mind the fuzziness!

I was looking down both sides of my neck.  I noticed the B string side has generous (certainly not too too much) backbow, while the G string side looks flat.

I've never adjusted the necks on either of my Sadowsky basses, but I was wondering what I might want to do in such a case.

I've never dropped or done anything careless with my instruments.  Aside from some general cosmetic wear (general aging and a couple of character building dings), there isn't anything really wrong here with the bass. 

I've just noticed that I can't get the action as low as it is on my Modern 5 and I'd like to change that.  Any advice from the other bass setup geniuses on the board are welcome to chime in Smiley 

Also...  Does anyone know where I can find a box to ship my bass if necessary to send back to the shop?  I haven't had any luck with Guitar Center. 

Keeping the Theory Alive since 2002
Fran Diaz

Sadowskyfied!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 01:30:02 AM »

Have you tried pressing down the B and G strings on the first and last frets to have a more realistic view of the relief on both sides?

later
Fran
NYC UltraVintage PJ4
Sweet Daddy Ray
Me on MySpace
Gerard Burick

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 01:46:58 AM »

I don't have an accurate scale to check.  When I press those strings at the first and 24th frets, the B side appears to have a larger gap than the G side. 

I have a tape measure and I'll get an extra hand to double check.  It doesn't really seem like an optical illusion to me, though.  I wish I had a good way to catch it on film.  My other bass doesn't do this.  It's pretty even all around and I can get lower action on it.

Sadowsky
Administrator

Sadowsky Guitars

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 02:00:22 PM »

You should be able to get a box from any music store that sells basses.

Roger

Please do not send me messages through the forum.  Please email me directly.  Thanks.
Gerard Burick

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 08:41:20 PM »

Thanks, Roger!

I'll keep poking around when I get a chance. 

Keep an eye out for a grey Knight Refrigerated tractor/trailer... you never know when it will be me!

I'll poke around some shops when I get back from my first run and contact you guys! 

Dbass60

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 09:42:04 AM »

Hi Gerard

You can also try any UPS store or Mail Boxes store they can make a box for your bass

some will charge extra but at least your bass will be in a good box

Peace bro.
Gerard Burick

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 12:10:42 AM »

Indeed, duder!  I'll look into it when I get back into town.  I'm actually leaving in the morning (June 9th) for a six week run around the lower 48 hauling random refrigerated goodness. 

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: