Sadowsky Guitars Web Forum
November 22, 2014, 03:50:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: When did sadowsky make their first 5 string?  (Read 3140 times)
CHRISDABASS

View Profile
« on: May 27, 2011, 03:05:52 AM »

Hi

Im just wondering if anyone could tell me when sadowsky first started making 5 string basses? I imagine it was in the 80's??

Smiley

SADOWSKY NYC (Alder body, Brazilian rosewood board, Inca silver metallic finish) 
SADOWSKY METRO RS4 (Alder body, rosewood board, 59 sunburst finish)
SADOWSKY METRO UV70 (Ash Body, Maple board, Black finish with Black blocks + binding)
Markbass LM3
Harkte 4x10 x 2
IntenseJim

I <3 pow, boobs, and Sadowsky

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 02:42:01 AM »

Hi

Im just wondering if anyone could tell me when sadowsky first started making 5 string basses? I imagine it was in the 80's??

Smiley
I think you are correct. I'm sure Roger will chime in but I know it was before 1990. I first visited Roger's shop in 1990 and the five had been out for quite some time.

I believe the 5 became more popular at that time.  One major reason was to accompany the keyboard synth players who were playing notes below the register of the 4 string bass.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 08:01:31 AM by IntenseJim » Logged

"I think the only repeat customer we have ever had is some Dr schmuck out in Reno." --Roger
Gerard Burick

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 03:50:20 AM »

It would be awesome if Sadowsky beat Fender to the 5er.  Please say it is so!  I have yet to find another brand of bass (especially 5 strings) in this price range or lower that play so nicely. 

I thought Roger mentioned before when he built his first fiver.  I think it was the 80s, but we'll wait and see.

Keeping the Theory Alive since 2002
Sadowsky
Administrator

Sadowsky Guitars

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 01:32:45 PM »

According to my records, my first 5 string was completed in November 1989 (#663).   I was a bit late coming to the 5 string party and it took me a year or two to settle on my current specs for neck width, nut width and string spacing.

Roger

Please do not send me messages through the forum.  Please email me directly.  Thanks.
Gerard Burick

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 09:32:44 PM »

According to my records, my first 5 string was completed in November 1989 (#663).   I was a bit late coming to the 5 string party and it took me a year or two to settle on my current specs for neck width, nut width and string spacing.

Roger

Well worth the wait for those specs!  Only Ibanez BTB, some Fenders and the wide Carvins can come close to your spec(I'm only speaking for the neck width and string-to-string spacing), but those other brands are just too heavy. 

I'm also a huge fan of the Modern 5 basses!  Gotta order another one sometime this year!

Keeping the Theory Alive since 2002
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: