Sadowsky Guitars Web Forum
July 30, 2014, 01:12:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Willie Weeks model - reverse P?  (Read 4507 times)
EscapeNote

View Profile
« on: March 13, 2011, 05:49:55 AM »

I've recently been rediscovering one of the bassists that was most inspiring to me when I was starting out: Willie Weeks.  His playing on Donny Hathaway Live is, and will aways be, on my top ten list.  I understand that he played a 62 P Bass on that recording. Every picture and video of him that I've seen shows him playing P basses with standard P Bass pickup, yet I understand that the Sadowsky "Willie Weeks" model has reversed P pickup.  I'm curious to know how that came about and what direction I might search in to find recordings or performances of Mr Weeks playing the Sadowsky bass. 

I'd also be very interested in hearing Roger's thoughts regarding the reverse P configuration.  I myself have a more modern P/J, modded with Duncan Quarter Pounder P (standard configuration), Bartolini soapbar at the bridge and Aguilar preamp and I have to say that, although I still really love the bass "unplugged" - very nice dynamic response and resonance - I'm not really sold on the pickup/preamp combination.  Have been thinking a Sadowsky preamp/pickup might be a better way to go...

IntenseJim

I <3 pow, boobs, and Sadowsky

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 10:40:32 AM »

The reverse P pickup, I believe, was the brainchild of Ken Fallon (former Sadowsky employee) and Roger Sadowsky.

It give more pop on the G string when you have both pickups 'on'.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 10:42:58 AM by IntenseJim » Logged

"I think the only repeat customer we have ever had is some Dr schmuck out in Reno." --Roger
Fran Diaz

Sadowskyfied!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 12:39:06 PM »

The Sadowsky PJ pickup set is awesome. Great balance all the way from the soled bridge pickup to the soloed P.
The preamp reputation is well-known in the music industry.

You can't go wrong with these electronics.

By the way, I'm also a big WW's fan.

I've recently been rediscovering one of the bassists that was most inspiring to me when I was starting out: Willie Weeks.  His playing on Donny Hathaway Live is, and will aways be, on my top ten list.  I understand that he played a 62 P Bass on that recording. Every picture and video of him that I've seen shows him playing P basses with standard P Bass pickup, yet I understand that the Sadowsky "Willie Weeks" model has reversed P pickup.  I'm curious to know how that came about and what direction I might search in to find recordings or performances of Mr Weeks playing the Sadowsky bass. 

I'd also be very interested in hearing Roger's thoughts regarding the reverse P configuration.  I myself have a more modern P/J, modded with Duncan Quarter Pounder P (standard configuration), Bartolini soapbar at the bridge and Aguilar preamp and I have to say that, although I still really love the bass "unplugged" - very nice dynamic response and resonance - I'm not really sold on the pickup/preamp combination.  Have been thinking a Sadowsky preamp/pickup might be a better way to go...

later
Fran
NYC UltraVintage PJ4
Sweet Daddy Ray
Me on MySpace
Sadowsky
Administrator

Sadowsky Guitars

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 08:51:32 PM »

It give more pop on the G string when you have both pickups 'on'.

Aside from a 4 string I made on spec for Lee Sklar, I never made (that I remember) a 4 string with a reverse P.  We tried the reverse P on the 5 string with the idea that it might provide for a tighter B.  But after the fact, I realized that this also placed the treble coil in the same location as a neck position J-bass pickup, resulting in a more familiar tone when popping the G string.

Roger

Please do not send me messages through the forum.  Please email me directly.  Thanks.
EscapeNote

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 06:28:07 AM »

We tried the reverse P on the 5 string with the idea that it might provide for a tighter B.  But after the fact, I realized that this also placed the treble coil in the same location as a neck position J-bass pickup, resulting in a more familiar tone when popping the G string.

This intrigues me.  I do find the tone between the 2 coils of my P pickup to be noticeably different and sometimes it bugs me - the D and G string being significantly brighter than the E and A string.  I've not yet found a pickup height adjustment that will balance it out. I can of course compensate to a degree by right hand placement, but it's not always practical to do so.

I'm wondering if the tonal difference between the 2 coils might be exaggerated, more pronounced, with a hotter pickup (like a Duncan QP)?  Is it reasonable to think that a more "vintage" P Pickup will have a better balance in this regard?

And if the treble coil is switched over to the other side, does it help smooth out that tonal difference somewhat?  I'm guessing that people who've done this, like Lee Sklar, have done so for this reason...
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 04:05:53 PM by Ticker » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: