Sadowsky Guitars Web Forum
August 30, 2014, 10:14:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Will Lee Model Preamp settings  (Read 7480 times)
Sadowsky
Administrator

Sadowsky Guitars

View Profile WWW
« on: January 20, 2011, 08:47:48 PM »

Hi Everyone,

Will would love to know how folks are setting the Will Lee Preamp in their basses.  Let us know if you are using anything other than the default preamp settings.

Roger

Please do not send me messages through the forum.  Please email me directly.  Thanks.
bikeplate
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 09:24:22 PM »

HI

I used it the way Rob set it up.  I did have to dial back the gain on it.  Way too hot when I first brought it home.  I miss her.  Im working towards another.  Maybe a metro version this time

Rob
gillento

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 04:17:43 AM »

Will there be a WL Metro 5 string in the foreseeable future?

The 1 3/4" neck has been the main reason fot me to go NYC so far.

--------------------------------------
performance starts with conviction
www.loes.lu
EscapeNote

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 01:43:54 PM »

I haven't yet had the pleasure of trying out the Will Lee Preamp - was musing as to the possibility of having one installed on my 24/5 NYC fretless on another thread recently...

Am curious - Is the preamp "voiced" the same as the standard Sadowsky onboard preamp?  In other words, if the mid control is set flat, should the tone be essentially the same as standard Sadowsky EQ?

jeffrey
bikeplate
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 04:41:10 PM »

Hi

The mid control on the WL pre is on and off.  You set it in the cavity control of the bass and activate it with a toggle switch up front.  There is no knob for it.  When its deactivated, sounds like the typical tone of the 2 band Sadowsky pre to my ears

Rob
EscapeNote

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 05:19:07 PM »

Rob - thanks for the clarification.  I hadn't realized there wasn't a level control for the mids - had assumed a stacked pot.  So in the cavity, in addition to selecting the mid frequency, is there a level adjustment of any kind or does the toggle engage the mid-boost at a pre-determined level?

jeffrey
bikeplate
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 05:23:59 PM »

Hi

In the cavity there are dip switches for 500 or 800 and for narrow or wide band.  There is also a gain control and overall volume, I believe.  I remember when I got mine, the 3 band being a much hotter signal than the 2 band.  The gain control let me roll it back and get them sounding even as far as output

Rob
bikeplate
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 05:34:54 PM »

HI

Heres a great link for u from the Sadowsky website, Tinker

http://www.sadowsky.com/pop/wl_backplate.html

Rob
EscapeNote

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 08:35:25 PM »

Hey Rob, thanks for the link.  And just for the record, it's TICKER, not "tinker" - but thanks for the good belly laugh!  (Maybe I should choose my forum names a little more carefully in future...)

Cheers!

jeffrey
bikeplate
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 03:43:27 AM »

HI

LOL.  Sorry about that.  Looked quick and thought I saw what I saw.  Hope the diagram helped

Rob
leond

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 06:19:07 PM »

I've been using position #4; 800Hz, Q=1.7 since I got the bass in November.  I've been using it for solos and featured parts to cut thru the mix.  That said, I do wish the frequency was a little higher.  I'm a high-mids man and would like a boost in the 1000 - 1300 Hz region.

I am going to try each setting for a bit to see which one I'll keep long term but #4 was the one I first gravitated to.

Sadowsky Will Lee 4 -> Mesa Fathom M6 -> Bergantino AE410|AE112
Rustigate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 07:53:20 PM »

I've been using setting #3, 800 kHz, narrow Q.  That's with an alder body, morado fingerboard model.
archtopopotamus

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 07:29:46 AM »

I've been using 800Hz, Q=1.7. I found the 500Hz a bit muddy for my taste.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 12:38:57 PM by Sadowsky » Logged
Musicfreak1988

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 09:39:35 AM »

I've been fooling around the past few days with the settings on my WL5. To be completely accurate, it has a chambered ash body, maple neck and amazon rosewood fingerboard. It has J-form factor single coils in it in 60s position.

To be completely honest: I have a week off now and I haven't tested this setting in a live environment yet, but have only been playing with my WL5 straight into a Mackie mixer to a pair of AKG K271 Studio headphones.
I have been playing along with a boatload of songs of different genres.

At first, I liked the 800 Hz bump the most. I believe I used setting 4. After a few days and fooling around with the two pot meters on the back of the control cavity plate, I switched to position 2. Ironically, it shipped with the switch in that position. As for now, this setting works best for me and the equipment I'm using now.
As some other have stated, maybe a third internal trim pot to choose the frequency would come in handy for those that can't find peace with 500 or 800 Hz. Some prefer 150 Hz or 1-2kHz. It all depends on the equipment that you use of course, and you can never please everybody, but it might be a neat feature... That said: I'm happy with my switch in position 2!

Tomorrow my week off is over and I have a freelance job with a brass band. I don't know if I'll bring the WL5, but if I do, that will be a good test to see how good it can cut through with moderate volume...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 09:42:45 AM by Musicfreak1988 » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: