Sadowsky Guitars Web Forum
November 28, 2014, 01:48:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Nordstrand Big Singles on a 5er  (Read 14912 times)
pablo basso

View Profile
« on: June 01, 2010, 02:07:54 AM »

Hi all,

I have modified my M5-24 with Nordstrand Big Singles and I am really happy about it. The tone is just amazing.

As I am seriously gassing for a NYC 5-24 with Big Singles, I was wondering if anyone has some experience regarding the 5-24 with Big Singles in the 5-24 soapbar positions vs in J locations...

I was wondering if with the Singles in the J positions I can expect more of a deep growls still...

chasarms

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 01:49:05 PM »

I assume you are still using the Sadowsky preamp?
pablo basso

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 02:05:13 AM »

Yes, Bass around 15 %, treble around 25%
ElMon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 11:12:56 PM »

I'd curious to know how big singles would sound in a FRETLESS M5-24?
chasarms

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 02:14:46 AM »

I love the sound of single coils. I just hate fighting the noise. I don't have any experience with that model of PUs, but I replaced the stock PUs in a newer model Fender bass with Nordys (the Fender dual coil retrofits) and it really woke the bass up. I loved them. I think Nordstrand does great work.
pablo basso

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 05:54:37 AM »

...Well, made up my mind and decided that I couldn't take another 8 months wait for a NYC with Big Singles in J positions... (despite the counselling and medication Grin)

So, this one is being shipped to beautiful Luxembourg for a new home... Grin Grin Grin Grin

toby

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 12:13:03 PM »

not to derail the op, has anyone tried Nordy DC's in a 5/24?
P. Bass

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 03:26:54 PM »

...Well, made up my mind and decided that I couldn't take another 8 months wait for a NYC with Big Singles in J positions... (despite the counselling and medication Grin)

So, this one is being shipped to beautiful Luxembourg for a new home... Grin Grin Grin Grin

WELL DONE ! Don't forget to keep the reports & new pics coming in when it arrives. That is a very impressive looking bass !

*Fingers On Flats*
Sadowsky
Administrator

Sadowsky Guitars

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 03:10:07 PM »

not to derail the op, has anyone tried Nordy DC's in a 5/24?

I have!  They are a very fine pickup.  My dilemma was that the single coil mode sounded better to me than either series or parallel in dual coil mode.  So I decided to offer the Big Singles instead.

Roger

Please do not send me messages through the forum.  Please email me directly.  Thanks.
bikeplate
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 11:09:49 PM »

HI

Ive owned both a 24/4 and 24/5 with Nordstrand Big Singles in Traditional JJ 1960's positions.  Awesome, awesome, awesome.  The two moderns I owned were EMG equipped. 

Rob
toby

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 11:52:57 PM »

Thanks Roger!

Rob. Roger et al...

If you could put it into words, how do the Big Singles differ from the Sadowsky soaps in a Modern 5/24?

tia,

toby
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 11:54:44 PM by toby » Logged
bikeplate
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2010, 11:59:36 PM »

HI

Ive never had a chance to gig a 24/5 with Big Singles in the modern positions or a 24/5 with soaps.  Ive had 3.  Two were EMG'd, one had Big Singles in J positions. 

Rob
IntenseJim

I <3 pow, boobs, and Sadowsky

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 12:32:10 AM »

If you could put it into words, how do the Big Singles differ from the Sadowsky soaps in a Modern 5/24?
I had both in my M4-24.

Big Singles: rawer, each note hurls forth like a projectile from a rail gun. Incredible with a pick or fingerstyle.

Sadowsky Soapbars: very touch sensitive, more hi fi, much better for slap IMHO. Still fantastic for fingerstyle but more hi fi.

As a guitar player, I think a similar analogy would be Lollar singe coil strat pickups vs EMGs. This may be totally useless to you bass players but it just popped into my brain as I type this.

"I think the only repeat customer we have ever had is some Dr schmuck out in Reno." --Roger
pablo basso

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2010, 02:44:25 AM »

Here's some new pics:

Great bass, although I only played it trough my 25 watt home rig, it sounds amazingly good. Aggressive, raw with plenty of growl and full of MOJO... Compared to my M5-24, it is much livelier, and more dynamic... and playability is top as well as build quality... Looking forward to put it through my rig tomorrow (Ashdown Spyder 550 with ABM 115 & 210)...

I opened up the back cover and could not find any indication as to who had their hands on building this beautiful beast, so to the whole Sadowsky crew, thanks for this one, it is a keeper...
RonenTat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2010, 06:20:02 AM »

I opened up the back cover and could not find any indication as to who had their hands on building this beautiful beast, so to the whole Sadowsky crew, thanks for this one, it is a keeper...

No one actually build it. On occasions, a new bass suddenly appears at the shop just like this - out of nowhere, adding a bit more to the magical touch in the shop's air.
Congrats on a Beautiful Bass!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: