Sadowsky Guitars Web Forum
July 25, 2014, 06:38:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: slap bass tone  (Read 11735 times)
chasarms

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2011, 11:55:02 AM »

Thanks for all the info.

My experience with compressors is more or less the same. I've used several over the years (Boss, Trace Elliot. RNC, DBX,...) but for some reason or another I was never as happy with the compressed tone as I was with the clean signal. The TLC seems to give me exactly what I wanted: No tone degradation and control over the peaks when I go too happy on the gig. I should record some samplers to see if what I'm hearing translates to tape (or hard disk, in my case).

If the TLC has the same "transparency" as the Markbass, I would probably be interested. The TLC is much smaller and could be run on a standard power supply of a pedal board. I am not a big effects guy, but I am considering putting together a little pedal board for some applications.
Fran Diaz

Sadowskyfied!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2011, 01:42:02 PM »

Thanks for all the info.

My experience with compressors is more or less the same. I've used several over the years (Boss, Trace Elliot. RNC, DBX,...) but for some reason or another I was never as happy with the compressed tone as I was with the clean signal. The TLC seems to give me exactly what I wanted: No tone degradation and control over the peaks when I go too happy on the gig. I should record some samplers to see if what I'm hearing translates to tape (or hard disk, in my case).

If the TLC has the same "transparency" as the Markbass, I would probably be interested. The TLC is much smaller and could be run on a standard power supply of a pedal board. I am not a big effects guy, but I am considering putting together a little pedal board for some applications.

I just did that. I got a Korg Pitchblack+ tuner. It has two inputs with an A/B switch. One of them is connected to my wireless receiver. The other one is for the upright or for an spare cable that can come handy if the wireless fails. From the tuner I send the signal to the compressor and from there to a modified VT Bass with a DI out (pre/post, phantom power,...). Not sure yet if I'll keep using the VT Bass; thruth be told, my Sadowskys sound so well straight into the amp (Aguilar GS500 SC into two DB112s) that I don't really need the VT Bass. I might swap the VT bass for a Sadowsky outboard preamp that also has a DI out and whose eq I can use with the upright.

I'll post a pic when I get a chance.

later
Fran
NYC UltraVintage PJ4
Sweet Daddy Ray
Me on MySpace
Fran Diaz

Sadowskyfied!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2011, 06:51:48 AM »

This is it: excuse the bad quality of the pic.
The Pitchblack+ has enough juice to power the TLC and the VT Bass so I save the need for another 2 wall warts.

later
Fran
NYC UltraVintage PJ4
Sweet Daddy Ray
Me on MySpace
leroyd

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2011, 08:30:11 AM »

Hi Guys.
I am using a sadowsky jj bass with humcancelling pickups, ash body and maple neck. I am primarily a finger style player and am happy with my sound. However when I use slap style the instrument is not cutting through the mix as well as I would like.When I Slap, Its as if the overall volume of the instrument reduces. Has anybody had a similar experience?Would changing to single coils be an improvement?. Any suggestions

Are you using a compressor? If so, it might be the reason. Depending on the settings, if the signal hits the compressor too hard the volume can fall below unity.

hi Guys
I Raised the threshold and that has helped sort the issue out. Not sure about the ebs multicomp. Why are the threshold pots in the multicomp located internally? Surely it makes alot more sense to be able to access threshold during a performance but this is not an option with the multicomp. Also  The Active passive /switch make little difference when changing from passive to active instruments which to my mind necessitates access to Threshold in order to make the necessary adjustments. I think I might go for another compression. Any Suggestions? Any comments on the aguilar compressor please as there is one available locally second hand
Fran Diaz

Sadowskyfied!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2011, 10:09:00 AM »

The TLC sounds very transparent. If you look for a comp that preserves your tone and keeps the peaks under control this can be a very good choice.

Hi Guys.
I am using a sadowsky jj bass with humcancelling pickups, ash body and maple neck. I am primarily a finger style player and am happy with my sound. However when I use slap style the instrument is not cutting through the mix as well as I would like.When I Slap, Its as if the overall volume of the instrument reduces. Has anybody had a similar experience?Would changing to single coils be an improvement?. Any suggestions

Are you using a compressor? If so, it might be the reason. Depending on the settings, if the signal hits the compressor too hard the volume can fall below unity.

hi Guys
I Raised the threshold and that has helped sort the issue out. Not sure about the ebs multicomp. Why are the threshold pots in the multicomp located internally? Surely it makes alot more sense to be able to access threshold during a performance but this is not an option with the multicomp. Also  The Active passive /switch make little difference when changing from passive to active instruments which to my mind necessitates access to Threshold in order to make the necessary adjustments. I think I might go for another compression. Any Suggestions? Any comments on the aguilar compressor please as there is one available locally second hand

later
Fran
NYC UltraVintage PJ4
Sweet Daddy Ray
Me on MySpace
chasarms

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2011, 01:14:16 PM »

The  TLC gets really good reviews. I personally think the Markbass Compressore is the best I've ever touch. But, there are a few issues associated with it. Most remarkably the 12V power demands and the size.

BTW, here's my board. I finally got it together:

Skactus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2011, 09:21:05 PM »

The  TLC gets really good reviews. I personally think the Markbass Compressore is the best I've ever touch. But, there are a few issues associated with it. Most remarkably the 12V power demands and the size.

BTW, here's my board. I finally got it together:

Do you use the bass exciter pre compressor or post compressor? why?

By the way... maybe I'm just used to it, but I tried aguilar's TLC and I prefer my multicomp (pre-true bypass)

Sorry for my not so fine English... lol

Sadowsky M5-24 + EA iAmp 500 + EA NL210
chasarms

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2011, 04:03:43 PM »

Do you use the bass exciter pre compressor or post compressor? why?

By the way... maybe I'm just used to it, but I tried aguilar's TLC and I prefer my multicomp (pre-true bypass)

Sorry for my not so fine English... lol

I am a little late to return. In the interest of disclosure, I should say that I recently sold my complete pedal board. I am now using a TC Electronic RH450 that has everything I could want it with no need for a pedal board.

But, when I had the board, I used the Xciter post-compression. In fact, I put all effects post compression except when I used an envelope filter or some other dynamic sensitive effect.

The Xciter is a somewhat odd "effect". It somehow increases the low end presence without increasing the volume or the boominess.  It's one of those things that you don't know is on until you turn it off.  If I put it in front of any other effect, it seemed to get cancelled out altogether. Plus, it was a pretty DI. I play a lot of "ampless" gigs and simply plugged my board in the snake through that Xciter. Worked great.
Skactus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2011, 01:18:13 PM »

Smiley thx for the reply

Sadowsky M5-24 + EA iAmp 500 + EA NL210
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: