Sadowsky Guitars Web Forum
October 01, 2014, 08:14:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Strings to use?  (Read 14823 times)
stopolos

Happiness has 4 strings

View Profile
« on: December 06, 2010, 04:40:22 PM »

Which strings do you prefer to your Sadowsky?

I have mounted d´Addario XL on my MV4, and I´m not very happy with them. D & G strings sounds OK, but E & A have a kind of "wool" sound. Total lack of "chrispy" tone.

I play jazz & fusion with a lot of slapping.

Any experience to share?
chasarms

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 12:25:20 PM »

I just put a set of Sadowsky Black label Nickel 40s on my PJ5. I really like them a lot. I had the Blue SS 45s on it before. These are smoother, less aggressive. Perfect for that bass.

If you are really into slap and like a crisp, clear tone, I would suggest DR Hi-Beams. They slap really well. They have bright sound, and the round core makes them very flexible. Great strings overall. Another sleeper set that is similar is the Dean Markley SR2000s. They have tapered cores. You may or may not like that.

If you want something a little stiffer, maybe DR lo-riders or Sadowsky strings? The lo-riders are a little "grittier", more aggressive sounding, than Hi-Beams. The Sadowskys are grittier still. Both are stiffer feeling. The Sadowskys are even stiffer feeling than than the lo-riders. Neither slaps as well as hi-beams, IMO.

I have a set of Sadowsky Black label SS 40s that I am saving to try on my modern. I have high expectations for them.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 12:27:51 PM by chasarms » Logged
stopolos

Happiness has 4 strings

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 03:59:25 PM »

How about the DR Marcus Miller. How are they compared to the Hi-beams?
chasarms

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 05:17:52 PM »

How about the DR Marcus Miller. How are they compared to the Hi-beams?

I've never tried a new set. I bought a used bass once strung with them. I would describe them as a bit darker, thicker sounding version of the hi-beam. But, I am hesitant to go too far, as I had no idea of the age, gauge, etc. I didn't notice that they felt "smoother" than a Hi-Beam, as they are described, and it's hard to say which is more brilliant, as I don't know how much life these had in them.

All that said, I'll probably give them a try one day. I've thought highly of pretty much every string I have used from DR. They make great strings. Lo-Riders sound KILLER on a JJ5.
bikeplate
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 05:42:35 PM »

HI

Id give the Sadowsky strings a try.  You can get them in nickel or Stainless.  The black labels have a higher tension than the blue lables in my experience.  The black have more sizzle or snap to them, also.  The blues, which I favor and endorse, are a bit lower tension with a strong mid presence.  I like the regular gauge. 

Rob
Dbass60

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 11:30:10 PM »

Sadowsky Blue Label 45-105 Stainless are good for me, well balanced, always in tune and funky sound

For Jazz,Fusion, latin or Pop Rock they do the job for me
stopolos

Happiness has 4 strings

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 06:12:52 AM »

Seems that DR and Sadowsky gets the best score from you guys.

In my part of the world (well across the arctic circle), it is almost impossible to find decent stings. Only low quality shit in the stores. Think i have to rely on some online store.
gillento

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 06:47:06 AM »

Me being from Europe, I order my strings at the Sadowsky store.
It is cheaper than ebay!

--------------------------------------
performance starts with conviction
www.loes.lu
Gerard Burick
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 11:32:55 PM »

I like the Sadowsky black labels... I haven't tried the blues

DR High Beams

I'll use any strings that are all snappy and clear sounding when I put them on!
classicjazz

Bottom Feeders Unite!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 11:33:07 PM »

I've been pretty happy with DR Nickel Low Riders. Have them on all my basses. Was messing around with SIT Rock Brights, but they were missing something.

Timothy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2010, 12:07:42 AM »

I use either Sadowsky Blue Label 40-125 or DR Sunbeams on 5 string, Blue label 45-105 or DR 45-100 on 4 string
stopolos

Happiness has 4 strings

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2010, 03:00:03 PM »

I like the Sadowsky black labels... I haven't tried the blues

DR High Beams

I'll use any strings that are all snappy and clear sounding when I put them on!

Yep! Managed to get a set of the black Sadowsky, and yes yes yes - They are good!
CamMcIntyre

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 01:22:54 PM »

I decided to stick with Blue Label Steels on my M5-24.  I figure, that is the sound that captured my attention, so I'll stick with them for the foreseeable future. 
gregmerrill

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2010, 10:20:48 AM »

I am liking the Blue label more than the black label. DR High beems have such a lush sound but they are not working well with my D tuner on my Will bass. I must say that sadowsky strings are also not working as well as I would like with the D extender. It aways comes up out of tune when coming back to the E position. I had a set of Marcus Signature DRs for 5-string and really could feel the difference in fatness of tone and punch but the B string was horrible on it. I still want to try a set of Marcus 4-string signature strings.
stopolos

Happiness has 4 strings

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2010, 08:41:35 AM »

So far I am satisfied with the black Sadowsky. Will try the blue ones next time. Thanks!
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: