Sadowsky Guitars Web Forum
September 02, 2014, 12:44:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Strings to use?  (Read 14221 times)
sps500

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2011, 07:49:47 AM »

I like the blue label nickels a lot but I have to say at the moment the Fodera Nickels are really good!
Bassplayingoalie

Playing the P-Bass with Gifts of Praise

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2011, 10:06:06 PM »

I just made my first Sadowsky purchase... Strings!  I am using the black flatwounds on my P-Bass.  Very nice vintage sounds and the feel reminds me of the Steve Harris Signature strings by Rotosound.  Now I need to pick a Sadowsky bass to buy!

Playing in the pocket since 1981.
stopolos

Happiness has 4 strings

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 04:32:06 AM »

I just made my first Sadowsky purchase... Strings!  I am using the black flatwounds on my P-Bass.  Very nice vintage sounds and the feel reminds me of the Steve Harris Signature strings by Rotosound.  Now I need to pick a Sadowsky bass to buy!

Buy a Sadowsky! You will not regret!

I still have a set of black roundwounds on my MV4. Have done 6-7 gigs with them, and so far I am satisfied. Have lost some of the crisp tone, but are still OK. These are fast strings! Will however check out the blue ones shortly.
P. Bass

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 03:23:08 PM »

Have you had a chance to audition a Sadowsky outboard preamp pedal w/ your passive P-Bass? It's a great addition if a Sad' bass is out of reach at the moment.
B.

*Fingers On Flats*
Bassplayingoalie

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2011, 10:13:05 PM »

Have you had a chance to audition a Sadowsky outboard preamp pedal w/ your passive P-Bass? It's a great addition if a Sad' bass is out of reach at the moment.
B.

Good idea, I will try out a pre-amp.  I have a 74 Jazz Bass that you be killer with a pre-amp.  One of these days I will get up to NYC to try out the Sadowsky bass.  I started playing the bass in 1981 so I may pick up Metro to celebrate.  I am leaning toward the P/J bass with maple neck...  Feedback anyone?

Fran Diaz

Sadowskyfied!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2011, 01:31:39 AM »

B.

Good idea, I will try out a pre-amp.  I have a 74 Jazz Bass that you be killer with a pre-amp.  One of these days I will get up to NYC to try out the Sadowsky bass.  I started playing the bass in 1981 so I may pick up Metro to celebrate.  I am leaning toward the P/J bass with maple neck...  Feedback anyone?

you'll love the tone of Roger's PJs, the only thing that you need to be aware of is that Metro PJ4s come only with a J neck width. If you are set on a P width neck you'll need to buy a NYC.

later
Fran
NYC UltraVintage PJ4
Sweet Daddy Ray
Me on MySpace
chasarms

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2011, 10:46:41 AM »

B.

The preamp is a great item. I have one, and I only have Sadowsky basses. Not only can you use them to add some of the Sadowsky "character" to a passive bass, but the unit is also an excellent DI box. I use it for running to the FOH for "no amp" gigs, and I have done two or three studio sessions with it. It is a very functional tool for the average bass player.

Some use it with DB as well. I think it works well with my DB, but I do prefer another preamp for that application. But, if needed, I know I can get a good sound on about anything with it. I even loaned it out once to run as a DI for an acoustic guitar. It worked great.
stopolos

Happiness has 4 strings

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2011, 04:07:32 PM »

B.

you'll love the tone of Roger's PJs, the only thing that you need to be aware of is that Metro PJ4s come only with a J neck width. If you are set on a P width neck you'll need to buy a NYC.

Talking about the PJ: An old friend of mine suddenly (and totally unexpected) turned up with a NYC PJ (#5622). He offered me to have it for testing for the whole weekend! Now-that is what I call a friend! Never had a PJ set-up on any of my basses, so this will be new for me. No gigs with my MV4 this weekend, so I will rock all by myself!
Bassplayingoalie

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2011, 07:25:12 PM »

B.

I want the Jazz bass neck, so the Metro is the way to go.

stopolos

Happiness has 4 strings

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2011, 08:15:30 AM »

Recently I was on a bass clinic with Victor Wooten, and watched & heard his finger magic. Went back home and sat down with my old MV4 to try to do some of the tricks & lics he shared, and naturally it all crashed in some seriuos frustration..

The next day (still in deep frustration) I changed the strings from 105-45 to 100-40, and did a slight neck adjustment to get the strings as close to the fingerboard as possible, and WOW... the bass came alive as a fantastic funkmachine!

Still have lightyears to go before reaching Victor's level, but it sure is fun having a bass that responds so well regarding this technique!
leroyd

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2011, 02:01:54 PM »

i favour the elixir nanowebs. i find the tone nice and balanced and they feel really smooth to the touch with their nanoweb coating. their long life is a real plus. Sure they are more expensive than other strings but in my view it is money well spent
Sadowsky
Administrator

Sadowsky Guitars

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2011, 11:00:49 AM »

i favour the elixir nanowebs. i find the tone nice and balanced and they feel really smooth to the touch with their nanoweb coating. their long life is a real plus. Sure they are more expensive than other strings but in my view it is money well spent

I am not a fan of any coated string as most of them are not conductive and defeat the usefulness of the string ground running under the bridge.   I have encountered many people complaining of hum problems and the issues were all due to the coated strings.

Roger

Please do not send me messages through the forum.  Please email me directly.  Thanks.
Fran Diaz

Sadowskyfied!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2011, 02:13:33 PM »

Roger,

When are you going to have the flats back in stock? Mine are quite old and I have tried other brands but nothing feels and sound as good on my PJ as the flats 45-105.

later
Fran
NYC UltraVintage PJ4
Sweet Daddy Ray
Me on MySpace
Sadowsky
Administrator

Sadowsky Guitars

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2011, 02:19:27 PM »

When are you going to have the flats back in stock? Mine are quite old and I have tried other brands but nothing feels and sound as good on my PJ as the flats 45-105.

Hopefully in about 3 weeks.

Roger

Please do not send me messages through the forum.  Please email me directly.  Thanks.
Fran Diaz

Sadowskyfied!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2011, 03:21:13 PM »

Hopefully in about 3 weeks.

Roger

That's good news.  Smiley

Many thanks.

later
Fran
NYC UltraVintage PJ4
Sweet Daddy Ray
Me on MySpace
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: