Sadowsky Guitars Web Forum
October 26, 2014, 04:31:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pickups  (Read 6473 times)
Gerard Burick
« on: November 20, 2010, 10:44:24 PM »

I'm curious about various pickups in Sadowsky basses... so far, I've only gotten to personally hear the Humcancelling J.

Has anyone tried EMG Soapbars, or any of the Sadowsky pickups... like the Sadowsky Soapbars?  I'm interested in some opinions about tone or any preferences.

I'm also very partial to humcancelling pickups, so I'm most interested in hearing more about the Sadowsky soapbars and EMGs for 5 string basses.  4 Strings are good, too... as long as the pickups are in a Sadowsky bass.

I prefer basses with natural midrange punch as well... so any comments and information regarding body and neck woods are always appreciated!

I'm very happy with my current basses, but I'm always looking to expand my knowledge!
RMCat

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 12:15:54 AM »

I have two NYC 24F5. The first is swamp ash body, birdseye maple fretboard, maple neck and Sadowsky soapbars. I run a preamp with a little overdrive to grit it up a bit. I like heaps of bottom end plus good mids to give definition, and growl. I add a little bass on my eq, but not much. I find the natural sound is very complete. Good natural midrange and awesome sustain. It's the perfect bass/pickup combo for what I want. Can also use the VTC to give an old-school funk/blues kinda sound.
My other Sad also has the soapbars, but has a roasted maple neck, madagascan rosewood fretboard, swamp ash body and flame spalted maple top. It's brighter than my other one, and find I have to roll off the VTC a bit more. It also doesn't have quite the sustain, but has a ton of mids. For a 'modern' sound the soapbars are ideal, but they're versatile enough to cover a good range of sounds.
My regular bands are both single guitar, so having a good natural presence through a large frequency range is essential to bulk out the sound. What can I say but, I love my Sads. They do it so well...
Hope this helps

- Rhys

'Your low B could sink the titanic, no iceberg required' - nicest thing anyone ever said to me
NYC M24F5 #5668
NYC M24F5 #5685
NYC Vintage 5 #6111
and a few Alembics etc...
Gerard Burick
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 01:35:52 AM »

Very helpful!  I appreciate the great detail.

Both of my NYCs have the Humcancelling Js...

They have a fantastic overall tone and sound as well as generous amounts of sustain!

Do you have any photos and/or video of your basses?
RMCat

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 03:00:40 AM »

Glad you found it helpful. I'm away from home atm, but you can always type Sadwowsky #5668/#5685 into google images...

'Your low B could sink the titanic, no iceberg required' - nicest thing anyone ever said to me
NYC M24F5 #5668
NYC M24F5 #5685
NYC Vintage 5 #6111
Gerard Burick
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 03:06:23 AM »

Oh wow, they are both so beautiful, too!

I have 3408 and 4480.

I must say, I'm a tad envious of your basses! 
RMCat

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 03:36:02 AM »

I dunno mate, yours are pretty fine indeed. Especially #4480, kinda reminds me of my #5685 a bit. Very nice. As you can guess, I'm a new addition to the Sadowsky club, and stoked about it too!

NYC M24F5 #5668
NYC M24F5 #5685
NYC Vintage 5 #6111
chasarms

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 03:59:42 PM »

I have two NYC 24F5. The first is swamp ash body, birdseye maple fretboard, maple neck and Sadowsky soapbars. I run a preamp with a little overdrive to grit it up a bit. I like heaps of bottom end plus good mids to give definition, and growl. I add a little bass on my eq, but not much. I find the natural sound is very complete. Good natural midrange and awesome sustain. It's the perfect bass/pickup combo for what I want. Can also use the VTC to give an old-school funk/blues kinda sound.
My other Sad also has the soapbars, but has a roasted maple neck, madagascan rosewood fretboard, swamp ash body and flame spalted maple top. It's brighter than my other one, and find I have to roll off the VTC a bit more. It also doesn't have quite the sustain, but has a ton of mids. For a 'modern' sound the soapbars are ideal, but they're versatile enough to cover a good range of sounds.
My regular bands are both single guitar, so having a good natural presence through a large frequency range is essential to bulk out the sound. What can I say but, I love my Sads. They do it so well...
Hope this helps

- Rhys

I LOVE the soaps. I have 5011.  It has Braz RW FB and a mahogany body. This combination is kind of bark and buttery yet fully and absolutely modern. I run the VTC wide open almost all of the time, and the bass has enough low end that I don't really need to boost the bass that much. I usually push it up a little bit.

I don't know how much of the character of the modern comes from the PUs and how much comes from their placement, but it certainly makes for a unique animal, and I love it. I will say that the B string on my Modern is stronger, more articulate and has better sustain than any of the other three Sadowsky basses have or do own.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: