Sadowsky Guitars Web Forum
October 31, 2014, 10:29:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Sadowsky Preamp/DI Pedal direct into a power amp  (Read 12738 times)
Sadowsky
Administrator

Sadowsky Guitars

View Profile WWW
« on: October 29, 2010, 09:23:25 PM »

Just curious if any of you have run a Sadowsky Preamp/DI pedal straight from the XLR out into a power amp, and what you thought of the results?

Thanks.

Roger

Please do not send me messages through the forum.  Please email me directly.  Thanks.
RMCat

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 09:44:51 PM »

on a slight tangent - is there any difference between the preamp installed in your basses and the pedal unit?

- Rhys

'Your low B could sink the titanic, no iceberg required' - nicest thing anyone ever said to me
NYC M24F5 #5668
NYC M24F5 #5685
NYC Vintage 5 #6111
and a few Alembics etc...
Sadowsky
Administrator

Sadowsky Guitars

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 09:47:10 PM »

on a slight tangent - is there any difference between the preamp installed in your basses and the pedal unit?

- Rhys

The basic preamp circuit is the same but there is a lot of other stuff going on in the box:
XLR line level out
1/4 instrument level out
Mute switch
Tuner out
Etc

Roger

Please do not send me messages through the forum.  Please email me directly.  Thanks.
IntenseJim

I <3 pow, boobs, and Sadowsky

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 09:53:39 PM »

I have a feeling 99.999% of the people on this board who play bass have a Sadowsky bass(es).
Hence, they'd have little need if any for the outboard preamp.   No?

"I think the only repeat customer we have ever had is some Dr schmuck out in Reno." --Roger
RMCat

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 10:01:17 PM »

but it is a DI too, and there's a huge difference between units - you can pay $50 or $2000 just for DI. They're not a glamorous piece of gear, but I find a good one extremely important. I think I'll pick one up on monday and give my opinion then.

- Rhys
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 10:13:35 PM by RMCat » Logged

'Your low B could sink the titanic, no iceberg required' - nicest thing anyone ever said to me
NYC M24F5 #5668
NYC M24F5 #5685
NYC Vintage 5 #6111
P. Bass

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 04:06:29 AM »

Just curious if any of you have run a Sadowsky Preamp/DI pedal straight from the XLR out into a power amp, and what you thought of the results?

Thanks.

Roger

Sorry I can't directly speak to your question because I don't have separates.
With my passive Fender P-Bass I have only used the 1/4" out on mine & have plugged it into the return on the effects loop of my Mesa Walkabout (power amp in). I still prefer running it through the regular instrument input because I can then use the GREAT (minimal) passive mid shelving on the Mesa IF it is warranted. I don't even use the padded input. (It's just like running an active bass). That Walkabout has a superb active bass shelving but the active b. boost on Sadowsky bass pre smokes it. I run the Mesa FLAT & use it's 3 band para eq. to remove - never to add.
Now -  For the most part for recording my overdubs I run the 1/4" out from the Sad o/b pre into the high Z  1/4"input of my Avalon U5 > line level 600 ohm XLR bal. out from U5 to XLR bal input of the dbx 160a compressor > unbalanced 1/4" out - because I think it sounds better than the bal. out.  I can't use the XLR out of the Sad pre because (unless I'm missing something) the high impedance (sky high Z) input on the U5 is of course unbalanced.
Won't be long before the pre takes a seat w/ the Fender Roger.  Grin
Hope I didn't put you to sleep. LOL
B.

*Fingers On Flats*
P. Bass

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 04:47:06 AM »

I have a feeling 99.999% of the people on this board who play bass have a Sadowsky bass(es).
Hence, they'd have little need if any for the outboard preamp.   No?

Yo Jimbo - Just who are you callin' 00.001% ? LOL.
Oh well ....I've been called worse Grin
B.

*Fingers On Flats*
bikeplate
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 04:22:36 PM »

HI

No, Ive never tried it directly in that fashion.  When I had a the DI Pedal, it was used along with non Sadowsky basses.  I would run those basses passive and use ur pre

Rob
RMCat

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 09:50:21 PM »

sorry Roger, it seems my part of Australia has a shortage of Sadowsky pre/DI pedals. Might have to contact your online store and get one shipped. Will give you a review when I get my hands on one

- Rhys

NYC M24F5 #5668
NYC M24F5 #5685
NYC Vintage 5 #6111
Gerard Burick
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 11:59:58 PM »

I don't own one, since I use two Sadowsky basses.  Although I may consider putting one in line if I start using my G&Ls live again. 
Sadowsky
Administrator

Sadowsky Guitars

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 08:06:06 AM »

sorry Roger, it seems my part of Australia has a shortage of Sadowsky pre/DI pedals. Might have to contact your online store and get one shipped. Will give you a review when I get my hands on one

- Rhys

Did you try my two dealers in Oz?  Bass Gear Direct and The Bass Centre in Melbourne?

R

RMCat

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 09:19:03 AM »

Hi Roger. I tried the bass centre. It was actually trying a metro in their store that led me to buy a couple of your NYC basses. They're out of stock and are trying to get more before christmas. I like George from BGD, but I figure if I'm going to get it shipped I might as well cut out the middleman and order straight from your online store...

- Rhys

NYC M24F5 #5668
NYC M24F5 #5685
NYC Vintage 5 #6111
RMCat

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 10:11:17 PM »

take 2 - Bass Centre can supply me with one in about 10 days. Will review for you then

- Rhys

NYC M24F5 #5668
NYC M24F5 #5685
NYC Vintage 5 #6111
RMCat

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2010, 09:36:10 PM »

finally got my hands on one, but I'm swamped with work and have to fly out to NZ asap, so will post a review when I get back and have time to play with it. Sorry for the delay Roger.

- Rhys

NYC M24F5 #5668
NYC M24F5 #5685
NYC Vintage 5 #6111
chasarms

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2010, 11:50:22 AM »

I have done it, sort of, many times.

I do a lot if gigs with no amp -- using either and in-ear system, like the Aviom, or just using the house wedge monitors. I've been doing this a long time and have used a POD, a Sansamp, and all sorts of other active DIs. The Sadowsky is the best DI I have found for this. It's small, light, simple and sounds GREAT for the application.

Ever thought about beefing up the features a bit and putting it in a rack mount chassis?
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: