Sadowsky Guitars Web Forum
October 31, 2014, 07:23:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: DI for recording bass  (Read 10132 times)
RMCat

View Profile
« on: October 23, 2010, 02:37:55 AM »

I'm wondering what DI units people out there are using? (With particular interest in recording Sadowsky basses)

'Your low B could sink the titanic, no iceberg required' - nicest thing anyone ever said to me
NYC M24F5 #5668
NYC M24F5 #5685
NYC Vintage 5 #6111
and a few Alembics etc...
mellow yellow

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 03:36:51 AM »

Hi from Italy,
I'm using an Avalon U5 and I'm very happy.
Ciao
Roberto

I'm wondering what DI units people out there are using? (With particular interest in recording Sadowsky basses)
RMCat

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 04:16:24 AM »

hi Roberto! Have you had any experience with tube DI units. I'm just wondering what the merits/drawbacks are of tube vs ss. And may I ask what style of music you play.

- Rhys

'Your low B could sink the titanic, no iceberg required' - nicest thing anyone ever said to me
NYC M24F5 #5668
NYC M24F5 #5685
NYC Vintage 5 #6111
kevplaysbass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 05:11:27 PM »

Hi Rhys,

Only drawback to any tube unit is that tubes are not as durable as a solid-state circuit and, if you want to nit-pick, a well designed solid-state circuit will always produce less noise than tubes. Just try a few and pick one you like the sound of. Take specs away and use your ears!

Personally, I like to take a DI from my Warwick Hellborg preamp. I also have a Radial Bassbone which also sounds fantastic (and works for Will Lee too, apparently).

Kevin Cooke

Sadowsky Metro UV70-RW-ALD-5
P. Bass

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 11:11:03 PM »

Avalon U5 works for a lot of bass players. Tal Wilkenfeld has used one live as well for her Sadowsky J. I find it to be well worth the investment. It's a pure "class A" unit.
 http://www.avalondesign.com/pdfs/hr_avalonLit_U5.pdf
 http://www.avalondesign.com/review25.html -  "Bass Player" mag review
Now if you're talkin' interface recording to a Mac computer, the Apogee Duet is a good choice, sounds GREAT for playback of any music via your computer & takes headphones & powered near field monitors to another level. Another good investment if you use a Mac. Maybe someone else can take it from here. Not familiar with it's further applications.
B.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 06:40:17 PM by P. Bass » Logged

*Fingers On Flats*
gillento

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 08:21:55 AM »

I have used a TAB Funkenwerk V71DI and an A Designs RedDi to record my MV5, PJ5 and M5-24 so far.

The sound I liked best was the RedDi!!!

--------------------------------------
performance starts with conviction
www.loes.lu
Dbass60

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 01:08:31 PM »

I have been using Radial J 48 and the sound is great

Peace
RMCat

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 08:01:30 PM »

thanks heaps to all of you for your responses! I guess the first question is tube vs ss, tho even that seems to be a case by case issue. There seem to be dozens of really good units out there, RedDI, U5, evil twin etc. I guess I'm going to have to just try a bunch of them. Any more advice is certainly welcome though!
Again, thanks to you all!
- Rhys

NYC M24F5 #5668
NYC M24F5 #5685
NYC Vintage 5 #6111
P. Bass

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 08:19:10 PM »

thanks heaps to all of you for your responses! I guess the first question is tube vs ss, tho even that seems to be a case by case issue. There seem to be dozens of really good units out there, RedDI, U5, evil twin etc. I guess I'm going to have to just try a bunch of them. Any more advice is certainly welcome though!
Again, thanks to you all!
- Rhys

IMO every DI suggested here is a winner.
B.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 03:03:45 PM by P. Bass » Logged

*Fingers On Flats*
mellow yellow

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 04:22:19 PM »

No, I haven't any experience with tube DIs.
With my PBass with Lindy Fralin passive pups the U5 seems to do a very fine job, with a sound more on the clean side but not sterile.
I think that the tube units are more focused on a given sound, mainly vintagey, but less versatile.
I was using some tube mic pres and the result was the above mentioned: fat, so for certain voices this could be bad, tha same is for bass.
I play mainly soul/fusion/jazz but I'm not a pro, so take my words with the usual grain of salt.   
I'm using also a Millennia TD1 that is a very good unit too, but it is a mic pre/DI so the price tag is higher. An interesting feature of the TD1 is the twin topology tube/ss in a single unit. TD1 has so much Ins and Outs and the Reamp feature too. Millennia sound quality is excellent.
Hope this helps, by the way sorry for my bad english.
Ciao
Roberto Costa

hi Roberto! Have you had any experience with tube DI units. I'm just wondering what the merits/drawbacks are of tube vs ss. And may I ask what style of music you play.

- Rhys
P. Bass

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 05:33:23 PM »

Roberto,
  Well said.
RMCat,
  The Avalon U5 is a real tone purifier IMO. There is something very special about "class A" for bass. Brings out the best, inc. the bass frequencies. ( I have talked to pro audio people about the Avalon tube stuff & THEIR feedback from studio experiences is that they tend to wander a bit in sonic character. This APPARENTLY is due to fluctuation in tube stability both during & after warmup in their circuits. (SOME also feel that the tube saturation character is a tad over the top on these units). Hey - studios are loaded w/ Avalon tubes so judge for yourself. This is VERY pricey stuff so make sure you listen well. Another SUPERB "vintage" sound is the "Great River" ME-1NV. The Millennia TD-1 is a no brainer! That's as good as it gets IMO.
Maybe you should qualify your DI interest with a specific price range or this could get crazy Grin
B.

*Fingers On Flats*
RMCat

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 06:20:11 PM »

Forget price. I'm a professional muso and have a small studio too. I figure I can justify a few grand on the right unit that will serve me well for years. Plus I'm recording my first original album soon, and of course I want it to sound the best I can. I found a dealer in Australia and he's given me very reasonable prices for the reddi, u5 and the td-1. At this stage I'm leaning to the u5, but maybe I should seriously look at the td-1. And again, thanks to all for their input, it's really cutting down my research/learning time
- Rhys

p.s. - please don't apologise for your english, Roberto, it's fine, and your comments are very helpful
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 06:28:12 PM by RMCat » Logged

NYC M24F5 #5668
NYC M24F5 #5685
NYC Vintage 5 #6111
bikeplate
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2010, 05:29:15 PM »

HI

I have a standing gig at a church and there I use a Radial JDI.  When Ive recorded, Ive used some nice Demeter units

Rob
RMCat

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2010, 11:43:29 PM »

after seriously considering every DI unit suggested here (plus a few more) I've decided to go with the Millenia td-1. I figure it offers both tube and ss in the one unit and has great reviews. I seriously can't thank you all enough for your advice. I now feel more confident that I'm getting the right unit. And a big thanks to Sadowsky guitars for giving us this forum to help share ideas and knowledge. Rock on!

- Rhys

NYC M24F5 #5668
NYC M24F5 #5685
NYC Vintage 5 #6111
P. Bass

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2010, 12:19:05 AM »

WOW !!! Congratulations.
I know we all would love to hear a Sadowsky bass played through that puppy. May be the only chance we get.
If you can possibly post a link to a sound clip demonstrating it's options when you have tested it, that would be great. Thanks in advance.
B.

*Fingers On Flats*
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: