Sadowsky Guitars Web Forum
October 30, 2014, 07:36:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My thoughts on the Plek machine  (Read 5920 times)
Sadowsky
Administrator

Sadowsky Guitars

View Profile WWW
« on: August 25, 2010, 08:54:26 PM »

I am often asked my opinion of the PLEK machine.....

I was one of the first people that PLEK approached many years ago....and I have stayed current on the improvements they have made over time.  Honestly, I have yet to find a good reason to purchase a PLEK.

First of all, I made my reputation on my fretwork.  There is no machine on the planet that can do better fretwork than Sadowsky Guitars.  Second, there is a fundamental flaw with the logic behind the PLEK.  99% of all neck problems are in the true-ness of the fingerboard.  I am fundamentally opposed to removing material from the frets to compensate for problems in the fingerboard.  If there is a playability issue with one of my instruments, I will remove the frets, rework the fingerboard and then refret with our impeccable fretwork.

I can see some benefit to companies that import a lot of inexpensive instruments or to repair shops that do a lot of fret dressing and set-up work.  However, a PLEK machine brings no "value added" to Sadowsky Guitars, other than having to pass the $100,000 + expense to my customers.

My final word on the subject is that the US sales representative for PLEK, after working on one of my instruments, called to tell me "Roger--you are about the only builder I know who does not need a PLEK".   

Please do not send me messages through the forum.  Please email me directly.  Thanks.
Dbass60

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 11:23:25 AM »

Sadowsky fret works it is the best in the world.

That's why I have been playing Sadowsky basses for more than 18 yrs. No Plek machine or special machines , just the human touch and soul of great builders at Sadowsky...

Peace
Timothy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 01:48:51 PM »

Thanks for this valuable sharing! Grin
Francis

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 06:36:44 PM »

Thanks for sharing this. I donĀ“t need any plek on my sadowsky. Neither in my other bass, is a good instrument from a good luthier too. They are great just like that.  
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 06:42:35 PM by Francis » Logged
Gerard Burick
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 11:30:21 PM »

Raise no objections, accept no substitutes, there's just no way to replace the time and effort put into a carefully hand-crafted instrument that's built from the finest materials.  Seems to me that Plek is for manufacturers that want to push out as many instruments in a short time as possible.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 01:02:23 AM by Gerard Burick » Logged
IntenseJim

I <3 pow, boobs, and Sadowsky

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 09:20:48 AM »

Brav-o`!

"I think the only repeat customer we have ever had is some Dr schmuck out in Reno." --Roger
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: