Sadowsky Guitars Web Forum
November 21, 2014, 12:47:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: how big of a difference between NYC & METRO  (Read 12080 times)
the swank one

View Profile
« on: August 24, 2010, 07:39:24 AM »

i'm wanting to get a will lee model and i'm new to sadowskys. i was just wanting to know is there that big of a difference between the metro & the nyc. should i hold off untill i have the money for a nyc or go ahead and get a metro now. thanks for your help. Huh
IntenseJim

I <3 pow, boobs, and Sadowsky

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 09:49:15 AM »

IMHO it's minimal.  Assuming you don't get a fancy top, custom hardware color, pups like Nordies, wood choice, then with the chambering of the NYC bodies  the only significant difference I perceive is weight. Tone not so much.  I guess it depends on how golden your ears are.

The NYC has graphite, the headstock I think is a little bigger but it's minor stuff IMHO.

I have four NYC basses and the bass player in my band has a Metro. It's exceptional in every way.

I chose NYC only because of exotic wood tops and two pre-date the Metro line, one is a custom order Modern 4, and one is plain 'ol J bass but with Soapbars. They were not available in the Metro line.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 10:15:16 AM by IntenseJim » Logged

"I think the only repeat customer we have ever had is some Dr schmuck out in Reno." --Roger
Asher

If you can read this you're not practicing enough

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 11:42:21 AM »

I have a Metro and it surpasses every other non-Sadowsky bass I've ever played. I have yet to own a NYC.

Here's a quote from the Sadowsky website:
"Our Metro Line represents all the basic models of Sadowsky NYC basses but are made by our staff at Sadowsky Tokyo.

The Metro Line offers most of the same features as their NYC siblings including the same pickups, preamp and bridge. The quality of the Metro Line is as high as our NYC instruments."

chasarms

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 12:22:38 PM »

The line from most all, including RS himself, is that if you are wanting a "stock" Sadowsky, there's no benefits associated with the NYC. If you like to customize, NYC is your only option.
Gerard Burick
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 03:12:12 PM »

The only things I noticed are the Metros are a bit heavier, but not by a lot.  The maple necks are much lighter in appearance and they all have chrome hardware. 

Playability is the same.  You can see that the Metro basses definitely get the same TLC as a NYC model Smiley
classicjazz

Bottom Feeders Unite!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 12:23:05 AM »

The build quality, feel and sound of my new Metro MV4 is every bit as good as my two NYC basses. Yea, they generally tend to be heavier but there are light ones out there. The one I just bagged is 8.2 lbs....which works for me. I think my Metro is a stunning bass....see for yourself!

the swank one

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 04:29:52 AM »

Shocked nice looking bass
NOLA Bass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 07:49:05 PM »

I just was in NY earlier this month. Kevin had me play about 5 Metro Will Lee models and the NYC tester they had. Keep in mind, I already own a NYC Vintage 4. I bought a metro. I scored one that was 8.5#'s. I otherwise found the fit, finish, tone the same. Considering the lower weight, it seemed like a no brainer. Now, if you want options like a fancy top, custom color, matching headstock, etc., then you obviously want to go NYC. However, go metro if you are happy with a "standard" finish. Keep looking or talk to Kevin as they do get some in that are on the light side. You may need to be willing to balance color vs weight like I did.

bassnyc1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 08:36:42 AM »

Some have already posted about the slight difference in weight but does the non chambered bodies in the Metros have a big impact on tone?
Fran Diaz

Sadowskyfied!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 10:16:14 AM »

Some have already posted about the slight difference in weight but does the non chambered bodies in the Metros have a big impact on tone?

As Jim said, only if you have solid gold ears  Grin

I've played and owned basses with both types of body and couldn't find ones sounding any better than the others.

later
Fran
NYC UltraVintage PJ4
Sweet Daddy Ray
Me on MySpace
marchone

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 02:01:23 AM »

That's interesting on the weights of those 8+pound Metros.  Almost all of the ones on the website are 9 to 9.5.
the swank one

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 02:48:53 AM »

i guess i got lucky. my metro will lee weighs in at 8.35lbs
T-Dub

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 02:56:27 PM »

I wanted to speak up for just a second to say how extremely happy I am with my Metro RV4-HPJ. The craftsmanship is superior to any other instrument I've ever owned, and the set up from the factory was perfect. The weight is just under 9 lbs., so I guess I got lucky on that aspect. This bass is balanced so well, I don't think an extra half pound would make any difference to me.

I look forward to the day I buy a NYC model, but I'm so pleased there is an option in Metro that fit my budget. My band LOVES the sound of the Sadowsky.
CamMcIntyre

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, 04:38:18 PM »

Here's a quote from the Sadowsky website:
"Our Metro Line represents all the basic models of Sadowsky NYC basses but are made by our staff at Sadowsky Tokyo.

The Metro Line offers most of the same features as their NYC siblings including the same pickups, preamp and bridge. The quality of the Metro Line is as high as our NYC instruments."

That quote is the key factor that let me opt for a Metro over an NYC.  If they started to offer the Metro line with fretless as an option, I doubt that I would ever buy an NYC.  I'm not interested in fancy tops, I'm fine with chrome hardware, and my previous bass weighed over 10 pounds.  For my needs, the Metro fits the bill.  I have owned my first one for just under a month now, and I already want another one.  First one is an M5-24, and I'm tempted to order a V5-24 in Rosewood/Alder. 
chasarms

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2010, 11:58:22 AM »

I've spent a few weeks with my Metro now. I just got an Alder/RW PJ5. Having owned an NYC PJ5 in Ash/Maple, I would have to say that the Metros are extremely competitive against the NYCs. They absolutely have the Sadowsky sound and feel, and no doubt, the overall quality of the instrument is at the very top of the class.

This makes sense. If I understand correctly, Metros are not mass produced instruments with a Sadowsky decal on them. They are built with much of the same individual attention to detail that the NYCs are. Just with limited options and in a different place.

It is comparitively heavy. My NYC is ridiculously light (7.8 lbs or so) so the comparison is almost unfair, but I bet my PJ lands well over 9 lbs.

Here's mine!!

« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 12:00:17 PM by chasarms » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: